Chapter 61: Grief-Stricken

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Jace looked at his phone constantly as he walked through the infinite corridors of the palace belonging to the Salvadors. As grandiose as the palace was, there was a morose atmosphere. 

He couldn't sleep. Why was his dad not answering? He knew he shouldn't worry. He knew his father was a rational man, no matter what. Or was he?

He slowed down as he passed by a room, hearing sobs. He couldn't help himself but push the door open to see Mason consoling Veronica. As soon as Mason caught his eyes, he proceeded to step back but the man cleared his voice and asked, "Your father answered?" 

He shook his head slowly, "No, he didn't. I'm sorry...for your loss." And as he said that, Veronica began to sob even more, burying her head against Mason's shoulder. Jace himself recalled Sierra's comforting hands. She had cared for him despite all the harsh things he ever said to her. All this while, he had tried not to think about her...but he couldn't. Sierra had been too wonderful a woman. 

Mason patted Veronica's shoulder, gently pulling away from her and said as he stood, "Don't worry... I'll send someone to fetch your father, boy." 

Jace nodded, "Yeah...thanks." He didn't fail to notice the tears in this man's eyes as he hassled out of the room. He remembered how hysterical duchess Elisa had been. She was literally hitting on the duke's chest, telling him how it was all his fault that their daughter was gone. The duke had ordered his chief guard to escort her back to her room and he had turned to them and said in a voice, trained to mask emotions, "You are welcome to stay as long as you need. My daughter would have wanted me to treat you well. I am certain...that you are— were an important part of her life. Please, make yourself at home."

He walked to the room right next to this one and opened the door to another wide bedroom, softly calling out, "Ileana..." 

"Go away!" 

His heart constricted in pain as he stepped in, finding her on the bed, her head pressed against the mattress as she was sobbing uncontrollably. She had cried so much that tears were no more falling. She wanted to be alone right now. 

It was so hard to accept the fact that she would never see Sierra again. She felt the mattress sinking at her side as he climbed on it, gently caressing her hair, "I'm so sorry, princess..." 

He hated that she was so broken-hearted. He'd do anything to relieve her pain right now. 

She muffled, screaming as she creased the bedsheets under her fists, "She died because of us! Because she wanted to save us—and if we weren't kidnapped so effing uselessly, she would still—be alive! I should have stayed with her. I should have never gone with you at that stupid hotel. Why am I so stupid?! You said you cared for me, that I'm your effing responsibility. You said you'd protect me. Did you?!" 

Her words felt like a knife stabbing his heart. If only he had been stronger for her. He clenched his fists. She sat on the bed, looking at him accusingly now as he said nothing, "You didn't, Jace. I could have died as well for all I know. Hell, you couldn't even handle yourself!" 

He instantly extended his arms, pulling her tightly against his chest. She madly struggled to break free but he gripped her even harder, firmly saying, "I'm sorry, Ileana." 

She coldly said, her arms slumping at her sides in defeat, "I'm just an effing challenge. That's why you just play with me. Save me when you like it and when it matters the most, you don't even try." 

He buried his face in the crook of her neck, breathing into her for a long second, the crystals around their neck touched, scintillating. He was angry with himself. "I tried..."