Chapter 58: Surrender

James constantly checked the messages Kaitlyn had sent him. Four or five of them came through as the plane landed on the Isle. The things she had texted him were making him anxious. The kids are tied in a dungeon in a stone fortress but they're fine. 

How could they be fine!? He had tried calling her twice but she rejected the calls. Beside him, Mason was driving the car he had had his secretary arranged a while back from New York.

Another message came in and he read it aloud for Mason and Veronica: Sierra's here along with the duke. 

Mason held his breath, anguish in his voice as he understood what it meant, "I can't believe she's really surrendering." 

James demanded, "What will Burrell do to her? Tell me." 

"Duke Mathias might be a man of word but Burrell isn't. That crap would probably kill her and our children in the end." 

"Drive faster. I'll get hold of the CIA for assistance."

"It's too risky. Burrell would probably get word of it. He has connections everywhere. I know the fortress well, Torres. We'll bypass those bastards."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Her throat was soar. Her body felt numb. The seconds were interminably long. She had mustered the courage to glance at the creatures but the moment she saw their state, she had broken the contact and looked back at her laps. 

She called out to him because he hadn't said anything since a long while. "Jace, are we gonna die?" 

She heard him chuckle lightly, "No. They're just trying to scare us." He was feeling so helpless. He had tried to break the manacles. It only tightened around his wrists. He had struggled to topple the metal chair over but had learnt it was fixed to the floor. 

Nothing they could do than wait. He wished he was stronger for her. He thought he could always protect her but this was the real thing...and he couldn't do a damn thing about it.

"But what did we do?! Why is this happening to us?" 

He sighed heavily, "I think we're just bait, Ileana." 

The door creaked open and they both jerked, fear coursing through their body. Ileana strained to look behind to see who it was. The creatures instantly became agitated, tugging at their shackles violently, growling and grunting towards the dark figure who entered the room.

Jace clenched his teeth as the shadow silently came into the dim light and he yelled, "Who the eff are you!? Why did you bring us here?" 

That stranger's face was masked beneath a hood. He wore a tight black leather coat and jeans. Several small blades and darts were strapped to his clothing. A crossbow was fastened to his right wrist. The leather glistened with something. When a drop trickled down the edge of his coat and splat down on the floor, Jace stared at it. Blood. 

He approached, unsheathing a particular dagger from his belt and Jace growled, "Don't come close! I will—hell, I will kill you!" The creatures hysterically pulled at their ties and Ileana feared their chains might break.

When the stranger laughed, Jace held his breath. A woman. She was a woman. "Relax, pretty boy. I'm not here for you." 

She walked pass him and Ileana watched her, gasping when she fearlessly strode close to those monsters, as if searching for one in particular. How was she not scared of that? "Ah, there you are." 

They barely heard what she then muttered and Ileana stared in horror at how she swiftly raised her dagger and slashed at that person's neck. It made screeching noises. She gawked, trembling and shaking as the woman then stepped back, admiring her work as the body lied lifelessly in those shackles, a small pool of blood forming on the ground.