Chapter 41: High Temp

Torres' Villa

18:34

Ileana rang the doorbell twice and waited. When no one answered, she opened and peeped inside, "Jace? Jace! I'm here..." 

She was bothered everything was so quiet. Was he alright? She was already inside when she heard sudden surreal gunfire. She jolted, her heart skipping a few beats. What the hell?! She nearly dropped the box she was carrying. 

The noise seemed to come from upstairs. She made her way carefully till Jace's room and pushed the door which was slightly open. He had huge headphones dangling around his neck, wasn't even wearing a shirt and he had a controller in his hands, his gaze transfixed on the screen. 

She gaped at him as he cursed a few profanities and then laughed like an evil maniac. Maybe...she'd just slip away without him even knowing. He then spotted her and widened his eyes. "Hey! You're here?!" 

His attention quickly returned to the screen, searching for enemies. She caught sight of a bottle of Heineken by his side and a bag of chips. He was impossible. "Close that game, Jace!" 

"Hell no! Check out that beast!" 

She was disgusted to see a very ugly giant looking slum with a dozen of eyes. She tore her eyes away from the TV and repeated, "Enough Jace. You're tiring yourself!" 

She stood before the TV, crossing her arms and he irately yelled, "Move, stupid! This is a level 74!" He swiftly leaned to the left side on the bed, launching a power attack. 

She was surprised to see beads of sweat on his forehead, as he frenziedly taped the various buttons. "Hey, be careful!" 

He unknowingly inclined too much, losing his balance and fell off the bed. She dashed to help him as he just sat there on the floor, looking confused. He saw the beast tearing apart his character and the message 'You died' popped up. He groaned, "Oh come on!" 

He furiously looked up at her and demanded again, "The hell you're doing here?!" 

"Sam told me you were sick." 

He stood, dusting his cargo short, "Sam's an idiot! Do I look sick to you?!" 

He did look exhausted. She sighed, "I brought aspirin for you. Have it." 

"I...damn it, I don't have a headache. I'm not ill, Ileana." He crawled back on the bed, a deep frown on his face as he started again from a checkpoint. 

She grumbled, "Are you for real? Let me check your temp." 

"It's 38.5 degrees." 

She gasped, "You have fever?!" 

He shivered as he got a sudden chill and scurried back under the blanket, "It's nothing. Really... Just go, you're annoying me." 

She gazed at him for a minute and then at her watch. It was already late but...she couldn't just leave him like this. Even if he was being a jerk and refusing to admit it. With a sigh, she scolded, "I told you not to eat three ice-creams yesterday! See what happened now?" 

She walked to his TV, looked behind it for the electric plugs and just switched off the main button. He swore, "The hell?! You crazy?! Argh, leave me alone!" 

She coldly glared at him as he threw his tantrum, "Go take a shower, please." 

"I don't smell?" He was burning and he knew it. He just...didn't want to bother her. 

She pulled the blanket away from him, "Go now itself. You're irritating me." 

He reluctantly put his feet down, feeling a little dizzy and feeble.