Talking It Out

November 24, 2008

November 24, 2008

Atlanta, Georgia

The Camp

"So would someone tell me what the fuck is going on?" Daryl growled out, staring at us while he and Merle washed vomit off the squirrels in the stream. It was just Cas and I with them. Sam, Dean and Ruby had gone to talk with Bobby about whatever is happening in the world right now. Leaving us to deal with the angry hunter.

"I am an angel of the Lord." Cas said simply, and Daryl froze, staring at Cas like he had just sprouted another head.

"Cas, you really have to stop doing that." I hissed, glaring over at the socially inept angel who was staring at Daryl like he didn't understand what the problem was.

"Wait. He's not kidding?" Daryl asked, glancing between Merle and I, shock written across his face.

"No. He's not kidding. I had a job before. I was a hunter." Merle started, washing off vomit in the lake, and Daryl cut him off.

"Hunting is not a job. It's a hobby." I watched Merle roll his eyes and then he continued.

"Not that kind of hunter. I hunted... things. Things like your chupacabra, and vampires, werewolves, skin-changers, ghosts... anything that could hurt people. I hunted them. I met Eves here when she was... what? Nineteen? I had met her dad before and he needed help taking care of a huge nest of vampires. Biggest we had ever seen. And I screwed up. I was messed up from the war and I was on coke. I almost got them killed and did get two others that were helping out killed. I haven't seen them since. But Eves, Dean and Sam have apparently been trying to keep the devil from rising, and this zombie thing... it was caused by one of the demons trying to raise the devil. And they're trying to fix it. But they don't know how yet." Merle finally finished, setting down the last squirrel to turn all his attention to Daryl who looked like he might pass out.

"You're shitting me... right?"

"No. He's not. He's right. And if you don't believe me... we can go back to the city and get our car. It has all of our shit in the trunk. The things we use to kill the monsters. Or, you can just trust in what you saw with Cas, and trust that we didn't make the rest of it up."

"Right. We'll... I'm sorry my brother almost killed you." Daryl snarked, glancing between Merle and I with a smirk on his face.

"Yeah, me too." I said gently, smiling down at the poor man, who looked like he had been carrying that guilt around for years. Which probably didn't help his drug habit. Hopefully, he'll be okay without the drugs, and he won't revert to the person I met ten years ago. The one who I hated, because this Merle didn't seem too bad. 

A/N: Another short one, but the next one will be longer I promise. Just wanted to get everything set up because the next chapters should have a little bit more action in it!