Hospital Stay - Flashback

June 20, 2006

June 20, 2006

Sioux Falls, South Dakota

The Hospital

I could hear that annoying beeping sound that always comes with being in a hospital. It was coming from somewhere off to my left, and I could hear the sound of breathing coming from my other side. There was a heavy weight on my right arm, and I wanted to move but it felt like my entire body was asleep. 

"Evie... I'm sorry... I know... I need you to wake up. Dean isn't doing to good right now. He's in a coma, and the doctor doesn't think he's going to wake up. But he says you will. So I need you to wake up. You can't leave me here alone with Dad." Sam...

"Hey, I'm sitting right here ya know." That was Dad's voice... gruff, and calm, and sounding exactly as I remember it. He really hasn't changed.

I felt a warm hand squeeze my arm, and then the warmth left. 

"I'll be back. Gonna check on your brother. Keep your sister safe for me okay?" Dad said, his voice was mean, the same voice he always used after he had an argument with Sam, and I knew they had been fighting. It didn't take long for Dad to leave the room, and then Sam was getting up, hustling around the room. If only I could open my eyes. 

"Dean? Dean, are you here?" Sam asked, putting something heavy down at the foot of my bed. It was quiet for a long time, and then Sam gasped, and then started laughing. Is Sam going crazy?

"It's good to hear from you, man. It hasn't been the same without you Dean. I figured you'd be in here." It went quiet again. 

"She's fine... I think. The doctor's don't know when she's gonna wake up." 

"They said... they said that she lost a... Yeah."

"I know."

"Dean, what? H, U... Hunt? Hunting? What are you hunting?"

"It's in the hospital, what you're hunting? Do, do you know what it is?"

"What is it?"

"A reaper. Dean. Is it after you?" 

"If it's here naturally, there's no way to stop it."

"Man, you're, um..."

"No. No, no, no, um, there's gotta be a way." He stood up, off the bed and started pacing. I wonder how he's talking to Dean... and what did I lose?

"There's gotta be a way. Dad'll know what to do." And without another word, he left the room. 

It was awhile before he came back, but when he did, he didn't sound happy. 

"Hey. So, Dad wasn't in his room. But I got Dad's journal from Evie's bag, so who knows? Maybe there's something here." He grumbled, and I heard pages rustling and knew he was flipping through it. It was quiet for a very long time before he finally stood up again.