The Pit

July 1, 2009

July 1, 2009

Day 201

It took all of ten minutes for us to pack up and get everyone back to camp. We were a practiced group by now, and when we sent the call to return (also known as Cas finding everyone to bring them back) it didn't take long for us to leave. 

I kept my window rolled down as we drove down the dirt road leading to the so-called 'Doomsday Prepper's Wet Dream'. Dean was driving, like always and like the past few months we were leading the pack. 

"So what exactly makes this place so special?" I asked Dean, finally turning away from the cool breeze coming in through the window, and turning to look at my family. Sam leaned forward, eager to hear the answer, and Bobby seemed interested as well, Cas was, as usual, unconcerned. 

"Well... and Evie, don't freak out. It's underground." I froze in my chair. 

"What do you mean it's underground?" I hissed, and I could see Sam's face getting more anxious by the second, but Dean was studiously collected. 

"It's a shelter. I think it was supposed to be for nuclear radiation. It's on a big chunk of land, so of course we don't have to stay underground the whole time. But it looks pretty big. I didn't go all the way in, figured there might be some walkers down there and I could probably use backup." I shook my head, turning away from them all to look out the window. Trees were flying by us and we were moving so fast that I couldn't even tell if there were walkers or humans hiding in the trees just beyond sight. 

"I can't do it." I said quietly, but I knew they heard me. 

"What is it Evie? Huh? Before I went to college you were fine. You weren't afraid of anything. What happened?" Sam asked, and by the tone of his voice I could tell he was honestly curious, and didn't mean to hurt my feelings, but he did. 

"A lot happened when you abandoned us Sam." I hissed, spinning to face him and his face immediately blanched. 

"You know I didn't-" I cut him off, not wanting to hear anything he had to say. 

"Yeah well you did Sam. Okay? You left us. Dean's fear of heights, and my fear of being underground... you don't get to say one word about it. If you had stayed, I bet you would have a fear now too." Sam honestly did look sorry for upsetting me, but you know when you just need to be mad at someone? And you just can't forgive them at that moment? That's how I was feeling about Sam. 

You see... six months after Sam left us, Dean and I took a job without Dad. We were tracking an Buru Buru, a ghost that is born of fear. When a person dies, if they die in a terrifying way, they can become a Buru Buru, a ghost that can strike that same fear into the hearts of others, the 'Ghost Sickness'. The one we were tracking died by being buried alive. It transferred it's fear to me, and I almost died.