Death Parade

November 26, 2008

November 26, 2008

Atlanta, Georgia

The Camp

When I woke up, it was morning, and I knew that, because right in front of my face was a super big boot. 

I traced the leg up to a chest, with super muscley arms, and I didn't even need to look at the face to see that it was Daryl but I did anyway, and found him sound asleep, cuddling a pillow with drool coming out the side of his mouth. 

I was curled up in the sleeping bag that Merle had pointed me to when we got to his and Daryl's tent and it was very warm and smelled good which makes sense now. 

It's Daryl's. 

Which I know, because Merle is laying on Daryl's other side, his face at Daryl's other foot, and he's in the other sleeping bag, leaving Daryl sleeping on the cold hard ground with only a pillow as a comfort. 

I instantly felt guilty. I scrambled up out of the bag, and carefully, and quietly unzipped it so that it looked like a blanket and spread it out gently over Daryl. He didn't even flinch, so I backed slowly out the, used to be closed, tent flap and what I found was horrifying. 

Walkers. 

I hadn't heard them before, I was too busy trying not to wake up Daryl, and now I wish I had never got out of bed. 

It was early, very early, meaning it was very quiet, and probably why none of the walkers looked frantic yet. Just like they were passing through, but I knew as soon as I made a sound, or the breeze changed direction, all of the walkers were going to be headed straight towards me. Towards this tent. Towards Daryl and Merle. 

I couldn't do that. 

I couldn't see my brothers, or Bobby or Cas, so I had to hope that they were alright, safe in the Impala maybe. 

But I needed to do something, and I had nothing. So... time to do what I do best. 

Make a distraction. 

I shuffled to the right, keeping a wary eye on the probably fifteen walkers that were still aimlessly walking around the center of our camp. I had to do this quick before someone else woke up and made a noise to get their attention. Luckily for me, Daryl and Merle like their privacy, and they were right by the tree line, and nothing stood between me and trees now. I had one chance. 

"Walkers!! Everyone stay in your tent I'll lead them away!" I yelled as loud as I possibly could, and I could hear a few rustles as I startled people, but the walkers all had their attention on me now. 

"Hey! Fuck faces! Come on! Come get me!" I screamed louder, not even bothering to be quiet anymore as I took off into the woods, jogging. 

I wanted to go fast enough that they couldn't grab me, but slow enough to keep them distracted.