A Puddle

November 25, 2008

November 25, 2008

Atlanta, Georgia

The Camp

"Hey! Eves! Wait up!" Merle's voice rang out behind me as I stomped away from Daryl, my brothers, Cas, and Ruby, but it didn't slow me down much. 

"Evie! Come on I'm not in the best shape anymore!" Merle grumbled angrily, as I entered the trees surrounding the camp, not failing to notice that the side of camp I picked to exit on, entered the woods at an incline. Merle wouldn't be able to follow me for long, maybe I didn't want him to. 

"Evangeline Winchester. Stop." Merle said, loud and angry, and I finally planted my feet, and turned to face my father's friend. This man was supposed to be another uncle to my brothers and I. He was supposed to teach us, lead us, care for us when Dad and Bobby couldn't. He failed. 

Why was he trying now?

"What Merle?" I hissed, angrily swiping at the tears that were still falling down my cheeks, so unhappy with the fact that Dean wasn't even on my side with this. 

"I get that you're upset okay? I get it. I wouldn't want to sacrifice my baby bro for the piece of shit humans still left on the earth either, okay? But running away isn't gonna solve anything. How bout, you come back to camp? You can take a nap in our tent, I know you haven't slept since you got here. Take a nap, we'll wake you up if anything happens. And... when the time comes to make a decision, I'm on your side. Whatever you pick, we can survive it." 

I practically dissolved into a fucking puddle. 

Tears were streaming down my face, and I couldn't tell if it was hormones, exhaustion, relief or pain, but I was apparently done with it. 

I hadn't cried since Dad died. And before that I hadn't cried since... I don't remember when. I don't even remember crying when Mom died if I'm being honest. I was too young, I didn't get it yet. 

But now... now I was crying. 

For my Mom's death. 

For Dad's death. 

The death of my friends.

The deaths of the people that we had failed to protect.

The innocence of the ones that we had. 

Myself.

Mostly myself. 

"Oh sweetheart. It'll be alrigh'. You'll see. Everything will be fine." Merle mumbled, pulling me into his chest. 

He was sweaty, and smelled like shit if we're being honest. 

But right now it was okay, because he was the one that followed me into the woods, and surprisingly, he was fulfilling all the roles that Dad had expected of him. 

Maybe it was ten years late, but it's never too late for a second chance, right?

A/N: I'm back! Well, let's be honest, I haven't really been gone, but I am back to this story now so yay! I have been re-reading and editing all the other chapters tonight [so feel free to re-read them if you want, I added in a couple sentences and edited some others (plus fixed some grammar) so hopefully stuff makes more sense now], I am sorry that this was updated so late, and that it is so short (which definitely has to do with the fact that it's so late). But! I will update again tomorrow, hopefully several chapters, so keep an eye out for that!

I hope you enjoyed this, and get ready to not recognize anything ever!