31.

🦋☀ 🌊 - 31

    now is the time the pogues are supposed to say goodbye to their best friend. it's only for a few weeks until everything gets organized and situated.

olivia looks around for any sign of the boy. hopefully he's just late, but it still made her worried as for where he could be.

"dude where is he?" kiara asks from the dock.

"he'll be here." pope reassures.

"he's coming." jj agrees from the phantom.

suddenly a cop car pulls up by the boat with its sirens on. all the friends scramble to the boat trying to look as normal as possible. what they didn't expect is john b getting out of the cop car.

"wait. no way." jj stares in disbelief.

"holy shit look at you." olivia smiles at the boy.

"she let me take it for a spin." john b pushes his hair out of his face.

"okay. that's believable. i'll buy that. for now." kiara chuckles, pulling john b in for a hug.

"it wasn't easy bro, but i got the phantom for you. she runs like she was made yesterday." jj twirls the keys on his finger before tossing them to john b. "ready to go?"

john b's smile fades as he looks at the boat and around the group. "where's sarah?"

"she's not with you?"

"no we got separated in the swamp. she said she'd meet me here." john b answers.

"we haven't seen her man." pope says.

"okay well i'm not leaving without her." john b shakes his head.

"we thought she was with you." olivia looks at the boy. she didn't know where sarah could have gone. she could be anywhere including any place with ward.

"john b, look at me. i know you feel bad, but there's no time. you have plenty of gas and plenty of food. once you get to that point it's a straight cross there. once you get there, lay low. relax for a couple weeks then cross the border to brownsville. you got that?" jj moves john b's head so he looks directly at him. "hey, you got that?"

"yeah, yeah." john b mumbles.

"alright then." jj says, hopping down from the boat.

john b walks around and says his goodbyes. it wasn't for a long time, at least they hoped. he stops at olivia who's last in line. "hey you."

"hey." she smiles, wrapping her arms around him. "wish we could come with you."

"i wish you guys could come with me too." he smiles. "take care of jj? he needs you. and make sure sarah's okay."

"i will." the girl confirms, giving him one last hug before she lets him get onto the boat.

"alright saltwater cowboy, let's do this." jj wraps up the whole goodbye thing. he always hated goodbyes especially between his friend group. not that they had many because they saw each other everyday.

john b climbs onto the boat with his backpack on his back. "hey, guys. i'm sorry for basically throwing us off a cliff this whole treasure hunt thing."

"hey, john b. we were bound to run off a cliff at some point, right?" jj chuckles under his breath causing john b to do the same. "at least we did it together though." he pulls the other 3 close to him, olivia right by his side.

it was sad seeing her best friend go. what seemed like a fun treasure hunt turned into much worse. right now they should be surfing as the storm comes in or drinking at another building under construction, but instead they're saying goodbye to their best friend for the next few weeks.