Chapter 2 [edited]

Elaine stood on Platform Nine and Three Quarters on September 1st. Remus was already on the train so nobody would suspect anything. 

"Have fun dealing with Percy all year. It's not really a surprise that he's head boy," Charlie said. Elaine groaned as Charlie let out a loud laugh. She wrapped her arms around him. Charlie pressed a kiss to Elaine's head, making her smile. The only reason that the two best friends were very affectionate was that Elaine didn't get to see him often. She pulled away, grabbing her trunk. 

Bill stepped in front of her, smiling. "Make sure to write to me, okay? I want to hear all about your year," he said. Elaine nodded, trying to keep a cool composure. Bill leaned forward, pressing a quick kiss to her head as Charlie had done. Elaine's cheeks went bright red as Bill grinned at her, stepping aside so she could board the train. 

"Bye!" she yelled quickly. Charlie winked at her as she stepped onto the train, lugging her trunk behind her.

Elaine made her way to the first compartment, where the prefect meeting was. She stepped into the compartment, spotting Percy and the group of prefects. She shot an awkward smile to everyone as she sat down. Elaine tried not to zone out as they talked about prefect duties. 

"Elaine and I will be patrol partners," Percy said, causing Elaine to press her lips together tightly, nodding.

___

As Elaine made her way to her usual compartment with her friends, she passed a compartment with Harry, Hermione, and Ron. She spotted her father in the corner, dead asleep. She chuckled, continuing to make her way down the train. 

She slid open a compartment door, revealing a blonde-haired Ravenclaw girl and a brown-haired Hufflepuff boy. Elaine grinned, sliding the door to the compartment closed. She sat down next to Richard. 

"How was your summer?" he asked. Celestia smirked at Elaine. "Her summer was probably amazing. I saw you and Bill on the platform," Celestia said. Elaine rolled her eyes. "All he did was kiss my head. Charlie does that every year," Elaine stated.

Celestia snorted before continuing. "Yeah, but Charlie is like your brother. Everyone knows you would never fancy him. But Bill..."

Richard smiled, nudging Elaine's knee with his own. "It's okay, Elaine. I believe you," he said. Elaine smiled at the sweet boy. "Thank you, Richie."

Suddenly, everything went cold. Elaine shivered, rubbing her arms. A chill rippled through her spine. Celestia was about to say something but trailed off when she saw a long, black creature float past their compartment. 

"What was that?" Richard asked. Elaine whipped out her wand, sliding open the door slowly. "Elaine! Stay here! What if it's dangerous?" Richard whispered harshly. 

Elaine ignored him as she followed the creature carefully. Something clicked in her mind as she realized it was a dementor. As the dementor slipped into her father's compartment, Elaine growled lowly. 

"Expecto Patronum!" she chanted. A bright jet shot out of her wand, taking the form of a horse. Her Patronus attacked the dementor, making it flee the compartment.

"Are you okay?" she immediately asked Hermione and Ron. They both nodded, terrified looks on their faces. Remus's eyes fluttered open as he sat up, glancing around worriedly. His eyes settled on Harry, who was lying unconscious on the floor. He immediately crouched down, attending to the boy.

"Right. Well, I'll leave you to it," Elaine murmured awkwardly, slipping out of the compartment. She was stopped by Hermione. "How did you do that?" the third-year witch asked. Elaine smiled softly. "Mr. Weasley taught me the Patronus charm," she lied. Hermione nodded, grinning at the older Slytherin. Elaine turned away, heading back to her compartment.

"Elaine Hazel Adwell! Don't scare us like that again!" Celestia exclaimed. Elaine rolled her eyes playfully, plopping down onto the seat next to Richard. "What happened?" he asked. Elaine picked at her fingernails as she recounted the events that had just happened.

"Wow," Celestia said. The three friends were silent for a while before suddenly bursting into a fit of laughter.

___

Elaine sat at the Slytherin table, eating dinner. She hadn't been paying much attention after the Sorting. She smiled at the Slytherin first years as they sat down at the table.

Dumbledore's words of welcome didn't seem to catch Elaine's attention until he announced her father's arrival. 

"I'm pleased to welcome Professor R. J. Lupin who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Good luck, Professor," Headmaster Dumbledore announced. The room erupted into applause. Elaine smiled proudly at her father, clapping as he sent her a discreet wink.

________________________________________________________________________________

I hoped you enjoyed this chapter. Elaine's Patronus is a horse!

Please vote and comment if you like this book so far!

Stay cool, Anika<3