Chapter 5.

BUKOLA

Everywhere I went, they always cooked up stories on why they could not employ me. Some of them gave me the typical 'we'll get back to you' response. So, after I left Aminu's office the other day, I decided to give proper job hunting a try again. I looked in the papers, outlined job applications and put in my CV in as many of them as possible.

For two whole weeks now, I have been job hunting. It's really exhausting. Having to wake up earlier to catch the interviews. After the first week, I thought maybe my appearance and how I showed up for the interviews got them discouraged. So this week, I decided to dress like an average Lagosian seeking employment. I even chose not to drive.

Omoh! Those people that jump the bus everyday, I duff my hat for them. These plank seats that will finish the remaining butt I have left. The rickety state of the old buses is another issue of utmost concern. If small breeze blow like this, these buses can land sideways. It's that bad.

It's not my fault, though. It's been ages since I boarded a commercial bus. Normally, on days when I can't drive, I use one of these ride hailing apps to get to my destination.

"Madam, you dey siddon like say na your papa parlour you dey. Shift joor, I wan siddon." A very tattered looking man breathes in his mouth odour on me from the window of the front seat. Chai. I don suffer!

Scrunching up my face in disgust, I open the front door and he watches me alight the bus.

"Go in." I say to him.

"Madam, how I go dey middle? Na woman you be, you suppose dey middle." What in the patriarchy is this?

"I don't get you. So, you want me to sit in the middle because I am a woman, when I clearly got here before you?" I ask him, re-confirming the madness.

"Ehen? Ogbeni, no dey speak Oyinbo for here. Enter. I get your type for house." That his last statement broke the final straw holding my anger at bay. I let out my 2 whole weeks of frustration on him.

"Oh. You think say I no sabi broken? I resemble mumu for your eye, abi?" I say atop my voice.

"Abeg, all that one na story." By now, the other passengers are looking at us with keen interest.

"Road still far. Abeg Madam, no mind am. Just enter." One woman says.

"Hold it. Na una dey allow these useless men dey behave anyhow."

"Ehn? See this small pikin o. Na me you dey call useless?" He retorts. The odour his mouth exudes will soon kill me sef. Does this man not know the functions of toothbrush or even chewing stick?

"In fact, driver I go pay you double for the two seats. Make we dey go." I quickly climb into the car, pin the door and watch the stunned stupid man.

"Sure woman!" The driver hails me. The other women in the bus start to hail me as the drive continues. That man can go look for a bus with a vacant front window seat. By the time he waits hours since ours was the last bus, he'll have sense.

"Aunty, thank you for not allowing the disrespect." A voice calls out to me and I just smile. At least, I achieved something today. However little as it seemed, I taught the man a great lesson.

The estate security men greet me when I walk pass them and I just nod, too exhausted to even say a word. Anytime I step out of the estate, I always see questions in their eyes but they dare not say anything to my face. However, I am sure I have been an everyday hot gist for them for one week now.

Thankful that the house is not very far from the estate gate as I foot my way there.

Who do I see at the doorsteps? Aminu. I internally hiss and roll my eyes. Such sheer display of courtesy. Since he knows how to enter someone's house without permission, he would have done the same today. Note my sarcasm.