Chapter 7.

BUKOLA

"I had a feeling you wouldn't pick one so I did it myself." No good morning. No Hello. Nothing. Aminu redefines rudeness every day.

"Your hand." He demands. When I don't respond, he picks it up forcefully and shoves the ring down my fingers.

This must have cost a fortune. Plus, the ring is so beautiful. The word 'Cartier' is engraved on it. Wow!

"You didn't need to spend so much money to get this." Even though this ring costs a fortune, I simply think it's too much for a charade.

"I have a reputation to uphold." He answers coldly. Of course, proud human being. He does not fail to jump at every opportunity there is to display his wealth. Wealth that I'll soon start enjoying.

"Will you get into the car or you'll rather walk your way through?" This man has a freaking switch attached to his mood.

"In the era of Bolt and Uber, you are threatening me with walking? What a joke, Aminu." As I speak, I open the door and hop in.

"I thought you were bent on being a smart mouth. You for no enter." He says and I just roll my eyes. Pidgin English sounds hella sexy when he speaks it, though.

"Drive jare. I don't have your time." He just chuckles and starts driving, using the map as his guide.

This man is very bipolar. One minute he is very cold, the next minute, he is laughing to something I don't even find funny. Sick sense of humor. Sometimes, I feel he does it on purpose just to spite me.

Silence fills the air while he drives. Since I have nothing doing, I take out my phone to scroll through instagram. A perfect way to pass time.

"The noise from your phone is disturbing me." I just hiss in my head. From the corner of my eyes, I glare at him. An idea crosses my mind and I just smirk then proceed to turn up my phone's volume.

You want to Bam ba
You want to chill with the big boys...

This whole thing got me laughing real hard because it's just the same Dorime song over and over again. However, Nigerians just find a way to bring out the humor in everything.

We have not even successfully graduated out of the small nyash dey shake era. Now this? Give it up for my country people, please.

"Bukola, your noise is disturbing me." He points out again.

"And how does the sound coming from my phone affect your driving? You're just being petty." My attention is still glued to my phone screen as I respond to him.

"Me. Petty?" He lets out a bitter laugh and a tired sigh before leaving me in my thoughts. If he had continued the talk, God knows that my plan was to ignore him.

Emmy's phone call is what saves him from my phone's noise as he likes to refer to it. Innocent phone that is keeping me entertained.

"Emmy. How far, my gee?" I ask him.

"Fine. How about you?" If there's one thing I like about Emmy, it's how calm he can be.

"Good. On my way to my parent's place." I chip in.

"You're driving? I could call you when you're settled in."

"Not to worry, Aminu is driving."

"Oh. Alright." He goes silent afterwards.

"Emmy? Emmanuel, are you there?" The car makes a sharp swerve right and then left, scaring me when my phone falls off my hand. There was no vehicle on the road. Why did this man choose to drive that way?