Chapter 31.

AMINU

Could one's heart break a million times over and over again, because if this is not heartbreak, I don't know what it is.

"Who are you?" Her question continuously repeats in my head. I stare at her without saying a word. My hand automatically reaches for the alert system which I press to ring in medical assistance.

While waiting, I hastily get her the water she requested. I watch her drink up with the assistance of the Nurse, while the Doctor examines her.

They ask her a few question before leaving. I just keep staring at her, shocked that she coukd not remember me.

"Were you not told that staring is creepy? Stop staring at me, Aminu." She says in a tired tone as a lopsided smile graces her lips. I let out a sigh of relief I didn't know I was holding in.

"You scared me. Please never do that to me again." I take fast strides to the hospital bed before carefully giving her a peck on the forehead.

"I am glad you are awake. I have missed you so much." Tears glimmer in my eyes.

"Let me inform everyone that you're awake." She nods and I leave to get clearance from the Doctor. When he approves, I let everyone in on the news and they were all elated.

Her dad was the first to go see her. One by one, they kept taking their turns till we were told to have a pause. According to him, it is not allowed for too many people to comd visit her. Something about some weird hospital policy. The only reason I did not oppose him is for a selfish purpose; I want to be alone with my wife. I also called Jide to inform him of the news since he is in school; he was elated.

Later in the evening, she fell asleep, no doubt still exhausted. At first, I was scared that she had gone back to not waking up. However, the Nurse assured me that it's just sleep and not what I fear it to be. I slept with one eye open, like I have been managing to do every other day. One part of me feared that her waking up might have been a dream and as such, completely giving in to sleep was difficult.

"Good morning." I greet her and she smiles, nodding her head. Madam Christie had arrived earlier with some food for the both of us. She was asleep, so I had breakfast. Now that she is awake, I'm pouring some custard into a cup so I can feed her.

"It feels so refreshing to see you awake, wifey." Her eyes follow my movement when I put the cup inside a bowl with ice cubes. The custard is too hot to start feeding her; and instead of the conventional bowl of water practiced here, I think the ice will speed up the cooling process.

A smile dances on my lips when she raises her eye brows. I just shrug and pull the chair by the bedside to sit.

A week passed and she was finally discharged. In this period of time, her dad divorced her mom. She did not know that yet and I was not in the place to inform her. Right now, we are driving back home. I let her rest her head on my laps while I stroke her hair like it's only natural to do so.

We finally arrived at the house and my driver is busy packing out stuff from the boot while I help her out if the car. A slight frown graces her face when she looks at the building in front of her.

"Aminu, this is not our house." She states, looking back and forth between me and the house.

"It is. It's our new house now." I state.

"Why did..?" I cut her off immediately. I really don't want us having this conversation in the presence of my staff.

"Let's just go in, hmm?" Leaning in, I steal a quick peck on her lips. She shivers before sighing.