Chapter 17.

BUKOLA

The mail still feels surreal to me. I was supposed to resume today. Shit! It's almost past 5. I need to shop for some new work clothes.

"Aminu, could you please drive me for shopping?" I ask in the sweetest voice I could muster. He looks at me surprisingly then answers 'sure'. I honestly don't feel like driving. Drivers from these ride hailing apps are sometimes annoying these days which is why I don't want to book any of them.

"Let me just get changed into something more comfortable." I state.

"But you already look okay." He says with a huff and ending his breath with the word 'women' that I pretend not to hear.

"Nope. I don't know who I will meet there. Perhaps a man who will sweep me off my feet." I shrug.

"No man is sweeping no one off their feet."

"But you have Eunice, Aminu." I pout playfully.

"I'm serious." His facial expression is now stoic and void of any form of amusement.

"You're no fun, old man."

"You're just a year younger."

"Whatever. You're still older." I brush off and make my way to the room. After changing into a pair of jean trousers and a polo shirt, I finish my looks with a grey crocs footwear.

"All set!" I inform him with a smile. I am being nice to him because of the free drive. He scans my figure for a while and smirks.

"I'll be back." Orishirishi. Coming from someone who insisted I went out the way I previously looked.

He returns with the same clothes but a pair of grey crocs on his feet too.

"Matching crocs, wifey." Aminu is doing this just to annoy me.

"Alright." Surprisingly, I smile at him and the wiggle of his brows ceases. Gotcha!

"Let's go, please."

Throughout the drive to the boutique, we do not speak. Instead, we just enjoyed the songs that were playing from the car's stereo.

It was already 6pm by the time we arrive at the boutique. Aminu drove us in the Range Rover. According to him, we would need enough space when returning.

I shopped for dresses, cotton tops, button up shirts, chiffon tops, suit pants, shoes, bags, jewelleries. When I was finally done, I was so tired and zipping the last dress I had just picked when someone walks into the dressing room. His hand immediately snakes on my waist and on reflex, I rest my back on his chest.

"Bukola." He breathes out.

"Aminu." My own voice is also heard. After some minutes of complete silence and just finding comfort in each other's embrace, I turn to face him and give him a proper hug.

"Thank you for accompanying me here."

"You are welcome." He gives me a peck on my forehead for every word he utters. His hand is playing at the skin on my back, sending tingles across different parts of my body.

"Let me make payments so we can go." Annoyance flashes in his eyes after my statement.

"I don't understand you, Bukola. You seriously thought I'd let you pay?" I can't believe we are back to this banter again.

"It's not like you planned to come here this evening." Which is true.

"Neither did you. Just keep quiet and allow me do what I want to." He then walks out of the dressing room, leaving me stunned.