||43||

"Sounds like you've been busy," Itachi commented with a smile, "I'm sorry."

"Don't apologise," I shook my head, "I've learned a lot while looking for you, but now that I know the truth, I can stop and do something else with my life."

"That simple?" he asked, I nodded, "well I'm glad I got to see you again, Shikarei."

"Please, I have a week, please spend this week with me," I begged, looking at him, "I probably won't see you again after this meeting unless we cross paths because of the Akatsuki in the future."

"I have five days until I get my new partner, so I'll stay for four," he told me, I nodded and hesitantly reached forward before pulling him into a hug. He just kind of... sat there before hugging me back, when he did, he hugged me tightly and buried his face in my neck as he held me as close as he could get to me.

"You're real," he whispered lowly, "you really are here."

"Yeah," I nodded before feeling something press against the side of my neck.

"I hate you," Itachi mumbled, pulling away, I gave him a confused look, "when I finally bury my feelings as much as I could, you come back and now I don't know how I'm supposed to leave you."

"Never mind it," I said, "we have four days before we need to think about that."

He nodded and pulled me forward; I could feel his breath on my face as we stared at each other.

Itachi leaned forward and kissed me again, it was short, but his feelings were there. Then he pushed me away and closed his eyes.

"It's getting late," he commented, "you should find a safe place to camp."

I nodded and stood up before taking a look in my purse to see how much money I had. More than I expected, that's for sure.

"I think I'll go and stay in a lodge," I mumbled to myself before grabbing my bag from the rock behind Itachi and pulled out a map to see there was a village not too far away from where we were.

"Where will you stay?" I asked him, turning and looking over my shoulder, he looked around before shrugging, "why don't you come with me to a hotel, of course you're going to need to use a transformation jutsu but it can work out."

He looked at me confused.

"You know that it's a crime to conspire with rogue ninja, right?" he asked me, I smiled innocently and spun around on my heels, so I was facing him.

"What rogue ninja?" I asked, mock searching for someone, "all I see, is a friend who I accidentally fell in love with. Someone who is really misunderstood and someone who I'm definitely not conspiring with, I'm just talking. Meeting. Loving."

His eyes widened before he looked down and smiled.

"How old are you now? 18? 19?" Itachi asked.

"19, remember, I'm the older one here," I teased before grabbing my bag and pulling it over my shoulder, I looked at him again and stretched my hand out to him, "you coming or not?"

When he didn't come, I just sighed and turned around.

"Suit yourself," I mumbled before walking away, looking at the map to check I was going in the correct direction. A few moments of walking passed and a person I didn't recognise walked beside me. His eyes flashed to the sharingan and then back to their previous dark state. I smiled at Itachi and kept walking.

°🥢°

"A room for two, two beds please," I requested, the man at the desk nodded before pulling out two keys and passing one to each of us. Room 4.

"For the first time they actually gave us the correct room," I grinned as we entered the room to see two double beds. Itachi quickly closed the door and the curtains and transformed back into his real appearance.

"Well, I'm going to bed," I announced before throwing my bag on the floor and climbing into one of the beds. It was soft and really comfortable, so comfortable, in fact, that I fell asleep almost instantly.

Itachi's PoV

"Well, I'm going to bed," Shikarei announced before throwing her stuff and the floor and diving under the covers of the bed closest to her. She must've been tired, or her Nara laziness was kicking in because she fell asleep straight away.

"Impressive," I whispered to myself as I perched on the edge of my bed, shrugging off my cloak as I did before finding myself gazing over Shikarei. Her face was so peaceful. Beautiful too-- no, Itachi. Stop thinking like that, you have to leave her soon. Don't get tied to her again, keep away.

Yeah, I can keep telling myself that but... She's the only thing besides Sasuke that can make me falter no matter what.

I love her and there's nothing I can do about it.

Damn it, Shikarei, why did you have to appear again?