(XXII)Regency

3 weeks later... 

The days were becoming shorter and colder as they journeyed deeper into the winter months, the atmosphere mirrored the season perfectly

The days were becoming shorter and colder as they journeyed deeper into the winter months, the atmosphere mirrored the season perfectly. It had been three weeks since Francis' passing and Tulia's mood around court seemed to be slightly happier, but the pain hit at its hardest when she was alone.

All that the Queen could think about was how she acted around him when they had last seen each other, she clung onto the idea that her best friend understood that beneath the glares and anger that she still loved him dearly. 

Mary and Tulia had barely spoken a word to each other throughout the weeks, they of course hugged and shared their grief when Tulia and Charles returned from their day trip but after that they had done their best to avoid each other. Tulia was still annoyed at Mary for signing the English accords but she found herself missing their friendship.

She was currently stood in the courtyard waiting for Bash and Charles to return form their ride, she had been told that the King wanted to speak to her. The King. That title was something strange and foreign to her, Tulia Byrne was the uncrowned Queen consort of France and her husband the King. 

The clattering of hooves sounded from just outside the courtyard marking the return of her husband and his brother. Charles had been testing the horse that Francis had left to him upon his death, it was Francis' favourite. The war horse was a midnight black Friesian horse who was extremely agile and regal looking.

Charles stopped the horse abruptly and looked around expectantly for his wife, upon seeing her he grinned and dismounted. Striding towards his wife he hugged her tightly and spun her around. 

"Francis' horse is magnificent." He exclaimed, pulling her over to the large horse, prompting her to touch it. 

Reaching out a pale hand, Tulia ran her fingers through its black main. It truly was the most beautiful horse she had ever seen, a beast fit for a King. A beast fit for Francis. 

"She's beautiful." Tulia smiled, laughing slightly as the horse pushed its head into her chest, nudging her in the hopes that she had food. 

"She is." Charles grinned, not bringing his eyes away from his wife. Tulia caught his compliment and gave him a mocking look.

"How very cliché." Tulia laughs, Charles looked slight dejected by her reply. Rolling her eyes at him she gave him a soft kiss on the cheek, which turned pink in response. 

"Charles!" A voice shouted from behind him, causing him to whip around with a massive smile on his face. 

"Lord Grenier!" He greeted, walking up to the man with a large grin. The Lord and the King started having a conversation about the dog that Grenier had just bought him and Tulia tuned out, instead of listening she opted to divert her attention to the horse that stood behind her. 

"How are you?" A voice sounded from her side, Tulia looked up to meet her eyes with Sebastian's. 

"Everything's alright until I'm alone, or trying to sleep." Tulia spoke truthfully, she knew that this conversation with Bash would not be repeated to anyone else.