(LI) Arrows to the Heart

3rd September 1565

3rd September 1565

The morning air was sharp and cold, chilling the people that braved it right down to the bone. Tulia was one of the unfortunate victims of the early morning weather. After the unfortunate incident in the banquet hall, the royal family had been forced to spend some time together in order to bond.

They were playing a game in which members of the family took it in turns to shoot an arrow at the target, aiming towards a heart that had been sewn into the middle. Tulia, Henri and Narcisse were the only ones not taking part.

Narcisse did not have Catherine to be his partner. Tulia's partner had been stolen by Nicole, and Henri was sulking, refusing point blank to join in. She knew something was wrong when he had dismissed Narcisse's suggestion of him partnering with Tulia.

Currently it was Charles and Nicole versus Luc and Claude. It was obvious who was winning, Charles was a phenomenal archer and Claude was no better than little Harry.

Tulia watched carefully as Charles pulled the bow string back, his face held nothing but concentration and for once he looked like he was enjoying himself. Once he had gotten the arrow perfectly aligned with the heart he let loose, striking the heart in the dead centre.

Tulia clapped from where she was sat, Narcisse on her right and Henri on her left.

"Looks like I win again." Charles smirked playfully at Claude who was looking annoyed at the fact that she could not even come close to the heart.

"Straight through the heart." Nicole gushed, causing Tulia and Henri to roll their eyes simultaneously. "Just like cupids arrow."

Tulia scoffed lightly at this, shaking her head in amusement and slight disgust. Henri's sulking frown dispersed for a second upon hearing her make the noise.

"Well, I think that we should get another turn." Luc tried to bargain, teasing Claude as he spoke next. "Claude starts quivering every time I put my arms around her."

"I do not." Claude protests. "And even if I did, no one ever beats Charles, he's the best archer in the family." she states, walking over to the table that divided the game players and the observers.

"We let him think so anyway." Henri muttered under his breath, thinking that no one had heard him.

"I'm happy to prove myself against you, brother." Charles challenged, hearing every word that he had said.

"It was a joke, Charles." Henri elaborated, giving his brother an unimpressed look. "besides, I promised mother I would stop challenging the King of France."

"Don't let my crown get in the way," Charles prompted, looking at his brother through narrowed eyes. "I know how much you want it, and I know how much you want my wife. In fact, I'll wager you for it."

Charles moved forwards and pulled an apple out of the bowl on the table and threw it towards his brother who caught it effortlessly. Tulia was giving her husband an unimpressed look as he so blatantly riled his brother, she did not notice the unsure stare that Henri was giving her.