(XXIII)The Hound and the Hare

Tulia was currently stood in the throne room watching as Mary's house banner was being taken down and replaced with her own

Tulia was currently stood in the throne room watching as Mary's house banner was being taken down and replaced with her own. It felt odd that when people wanted to talk to the Queen of France they were talking about her, her marriage to Charles never held the prospect of becoming Queen of France yet it was a title she now held.

Mary had been looking for new allegiances with other countries, which further solidified her isolation from French court, currently she was courting Don Carlos of Spain. He seemed kind but there was something odd about him that Tulia couldn't quite place. 

"I don't believe it." A voice sounded out from behind her, Tulia did not recognise the voice and turned around in confusion. "Little Tulia Byrne?" 

"Gideon?" Tulia gasped, a large smile coming onto her face as she rushed over to him and pulled him into a hug. "Is it really you?"

"My how much you've grown." Gideon grinned. Gideon Blackburn used to work for her mother when she was Queen, albeit he was a spy that her mother sent to watch over people, but Tulia enjoyed his company as a child.

Gideon and Tulia had first met when she was six years old, she had run into her mothers study without knocking and had been scolded greatly and Gideon had been tasked to return her back to her room. Gideon reminded her of her father quite a bit, he too did not particularly like the Queen and would mock her to Tulia's face but he was thoroughly loyal to Bloody Mary as he so relentlessly called her. 

"It's been what? seven years?" Tulia thought, smiling at her old friend. 

"aye, and thankfully in those seven years you've turned out exactly like your father." Gideon grinned.

"How did you get out of the Tower?" Tulia questioned. "Last time I checked Elizabeth had you locked away in the Tower of London for your sins."  

"My charm is very persuasive." Gideon winked earning an eye roll from the Queen.

"Elizabeth is immune to your charms," Tulia stated. "What are you really here for?" 

"Nothing you need to worry your pretty little head over." He smiled, getting ready to walk away.

"I hope you haven't forgotten Gideon but I am the Queen of France and any business that takes place in France is something I have to worry my pretty little head over." Tulia responded, she liked Gideon a lot but she knew how talented he was at lying and so she did not trust him one bit.

"It is business talks between Elizabeth and Mary, Queen of Scots." Gideon revealed, Tulia could not tell if he was lying but chose to go along with what he was saying in order to find any inconsistencies in his story. 

"And what does Elizabeth want with Mary? Last time I checked, Mary ripped Elizabeth's offer of friendship to pieces." Tulia narrowed her eyes at the man that stood before her. 

"Elizabeth still wants peace," Gideon reasoned, smiling at Tulia proudly. "Why do you think she removed her troops from Linlithgow?" 

"Her troops are still positioned on the Scottish side of the border," Tulia reminded. "They haven't been withdrawn they've simply been moved."