(VI) Kings and Queens

10th July 1559

Another year had passed since the loss of her mother and her claim over England, life had become a lot harder for the young Queen as her relationship with Finnan had never quite mended

Another year had passed since the loss of her mother and her claim over England, life had become a lot harder for the young Queen as her relationship with Finnan had never quite mended. Tulia trusted him enough to lead the country but she did not hold the same amount of love for him that she once did.

At the current time, Tulia had just arrived in France after being invited to the coronation of Francis and his wife Mary, Queen of Scots. Due to family rivalries Tulia had never met Mary but the excitement was building upon the though of seeing her best friend again.

Tulia and Francis had stayed in touch since the day they first met but had not actually seen each other in five years. She knew he would not be the same boy that she knew but she hoped he wouldn't be too different.

>>>

Francis and Mary were walking along side Catherine as she delved into detail about what events were going to be happening after his coronation. To say that they were both appalled at the expense was an understatement, Mary made her views very clear to the older woman.

"It's not just poor taste." Mary snapped, " Its grotesque. Unaffordable and shameful."

"Excellent" Catherine smiled, "That's precisely the effect I was aiming for. Your coronation is not about affordability. It's about survival. Leaders from 50 countries will be there this week, including the Queen of Ireland. They are like Lions, studying our every move, ready to hit us when we are at out weakest." Catherine knew this would spark her sons interest and smiled even more when his eyes lit up.

"Tulia?" He smiled, " I wasn't aware that she was coming."

" I thought it was best for her to come and get used to court, spend a couple of months here before she gets married to Charles." Catherine spoke, watching in satisfaction as Mary frowned slightly at her husbands interest towards another woman.

"But what good does it do us to pretend to be strong if it bankrupts us?" Mary challenged, steering the subject back to their financial worries.

"Truly, Francis." Catherine spoke, not looking away from her daughter-in-law " I don't even know why she's in this conversation. Didn't you promise the nobles that you'd muzzle her?"

"Muzzle?"

"That is what you told Lord Narcisse." Catherine confirmed, "The man controls ninety percent of the grain in this region. In a famine, that is not just wealth. That is power."

"What grain," Mary spat with an annoyed look on her face. " Lord Narcisse has delivered nothing but excuses. A new one every day."

" I imagine he might've been more cooperative had you not murdered his son."

"What i did was justice, not murder." Mary reasoned, completely unaware of the regal presence that had now started making her way over to the trio.