(LVII) Talks of the Usurper

9th February 1566

9th February 1566

It was a warm day in France. A welcome relief from the storms and snow that January brought into the new year. Usually Tulia would enjoy the warmth of the sun, but with the ever growing child inside her, the heat felt extremely uncomfortable for the young Queen.

The maids had just helped her in dressing and were currently making their way out of the room, leaving Tulia to put on her jewellery and do her hair on her own. The constant visits from the Leon's, her ladies and Catherine had brought an ounce of joy to her life that she had thought she had lost. 

A commotion outside brought the Queen out of her concentration. Completing the finishing touches to her simple hairstyle, she got up from her seat just in time for the commotion to enter her room. 

"You can't come in here." One of her maids complained as she tried to stop the person from entering her room. Tulia prayed to god that it was not Charles, she did not want him to ruin her mood so early in the day. 

"I can go where I want." The voice retorted, Tulia could already tell that the man wanting to get into her room had a frown on his face. 

The maid tried desperately to stop the man from entering the room. But when a ring clad hand reached around the door and forcefully pushed it open, he could not be stopped. 

"I'm so sorry your grace." The maid rushed out as the blonde haired man made his way into the room. 

Henri sighed heavily before he brushed his blonde curls out of his face. He crossed his arms in disapproval as he looked at Tulia. He hadn't seen her in months and frankly, he was annoyed. 

"It's alright," Tulia dismissed, waving her hand at the apologetic woman. "You're dismissed for the day." 

The woman curtseyed once before she hurried out of the room awkwardly, leaving the annoyed Prince and the nervous Queen to their privacy. 

"Care to explain to me why everyone is allowed to visit you, but me." Henri asked, frowning at the Queen as she sighed heavily and gently lowered herself into the chair next to her bed. 

"Henri-"

"Don't act like you haven't done anything wrong." Henri retorted before she got the chance to explain herself. "I came here every day for a month and you still wouldn't see me. Then I hear you are feeling better and all of a sudden I'm being sent off to Navarre to sort politics for my insolent brother."

"I had no choice." Tulia explained. "There has to be no doubt that this child is Charles'. If there is any suspicion that someone else is the father, I would be killed."

"Why only me?" Henri asked, still annoyed at her. "You let other men come to see you, I hear Aidan, Lorent and Hal come quite frequently."

"Rumours have been rife about you and I since you asked me to dance with you when you first arrived." Tulia reminded. "Catherine got wind that people are beginning to believe that Charles wanted an annulment specifically because of the nature of our relationship."