(IX) Three Queens

Sitting at the desk in her room, Tulia finished up the letter that she was writing to Finnan regarding her stay in France and her relation to the French throne

Sitting at the desk in her room, Tulia finished up the letter that she was writing to Finnan regarding her stay in France and her relation to the French throne. She did not want to come across as disrespectful to the King and Queen for 'gossiping' about their bereavement but it was important that her future in France was outlined perfectly to the King Regent and Tulia's own people. Signing her name delicately at the bottom on the parchment her body relaxed and she sighed, although the prospect of her husband being the next in line for the French throne was important to her claim to England she still wanted to go home. France was beautiful but she did not wish to spend her entire life in a place that was not her home. Ireland was her home, England was her home. 

A knock on the door straightened the young girls posture significantly. 

"Come in." Tulia spoke clearly, clearing her throat and staring expectantly at the door.

"Tulia." Catherine nodded as she walked into the room with one of her guards in tow. "How does the prospect of spending the day with me sound?" 

Tulia scrunched her eyebrows at the older woman and looked at her in shock, although Catherine did not treat her badly in the way that she treated Mary she still didn't particularly think that the Queen mother liked her in the slightest.

"That sounds..." She trailed off, eventually looking at her future mother-in-law in the eyes. "fun."

Catherine scoffed at this lightly, not believing the young Queens answer.

"I am going to be attending Lord Gramonts Saint Day Party." She started walking around her room and picking up various objects to inspect their value before placing them back onto the floor. "It always softens the nobles when a Queen appears at their gatherings. A sop to their vanity."

Before Tulia could reply Queen Mary strides through the open door. Looking at the two with a slight smile. 

"I heard you two were going to Beauvais." She stated, looking at Catherine expectantly. "Why don't I come with you."

"My dear." Catherine scoffs, "It will be a terrible bore. Even keeping it to a small retinue of guards, the ride will take hours." Tulia noticed that Catherine had a rolled up parchment clutched to her side just outside of Marys view.

"It will be good for me to get out of the castle." Mary counters, turning to look at Tulia. "Its fresh air, time to think and get to know my soon to be sister in law." Tulia smiles brightly at this, the younger queen was pleased with the relationship she was building with her first cousin once removed. 

"You know what you need." Catherine rejected, "A nice long walk."

"With all due respect Catherine," Tulia spoke, siding with Mary on this point. "You said that two Queens impress the nobles, would it not be better if there were three?" Catherine looks to the red haired girl with a grimace before nodding and walking out. Leaving the Queen of Scots and the Irish Queen alone.