(XXXI) Returned

20th September 1561

She had woken up alone, again

She had woken up alone, again. Charles was still missing.

It had been five days since his initial disappearance and Tulia had never felt more alone. Catherine was always talking about the fate of France, who would be their King next? Charles's younger brother Henri or their unborn son. Tulia was disgruntled to find that Henri was the court favourite, but she knew that the young prince that had yet to take his first breath would hold the same fighting spirit as his mother, he would give up his crown for no one. 

The young Queen barely spoke as she allowed the handmaidens to help her dress that day, she had nothing to say. Her thoughts swirled around her head constantly, making her none the wiser to how much time she spent inside her own head. She was losing hope.

Every day that he had been missing, she had sent Aidan out to help find him and every day he had come back empty handed with a look of pity on his face. Aidan Kelly watched as his Queen became colder, her expressions more distant and her smile none existent. He hadn't seen her like this since her father died. 

The Queen nodded at her maids gratefully for helping her before she left her chambers and began her journey towards the throne room where Catherine and Claude were already stationed. 

"Tulia, my dear." Catherine called, beckoning the Queen of France to stand with her and Claude. Tulia obliged and moved over to her. "How are you?"

"Worried for my husband." Tulia spoke, her voice cracking slightly after not talking for a while. "May God be merciful."

Catherine nodded at her with a sad smile. Heavy footsteps sounded throughout the room as she witnessed a man with dark hair and dark eyes stop before them. This was the aforementioned Martel de Guise. Claude's lover from Paris. The word lover was no longer used in their relationship and it seemed that Claude now despised him. 

"Your grace," He nodded at Catherine and Tulia. "My private soldiers visited each of the nobles who are providing safe haven to the royal children. Here are their reports." He handed Catherine a piece of parchment which she briefly glanced at before looking up to Martel and inquiring about her children. 

"Tell me first," Catherine spoke. "How is henry?" Tulia sighed at this, looking down at where she would usually see her feet, yet all she could see was the hump of fabric that protruded over her stomach. Her husband could not have waited two more months to get kidnapped?

"He's quite homesick in Orleans." She heard Martel stay. 

"Well, he may get his wish to return soon enough, oblivious to the fact that he may already be King. If Charles is-" Catherine began speaking.

"Catherine." Tulia interrupted with a displeased expression. Catherine looked at her with a slight regret but did not get to proceed with their conversation as two guards walked into the room and marched up to them with haste.