(LIII) The Punishment for Treason Is Death

29th September 1565

29th September 1565

It was a fine day in Ireland, a very rare one at that, the sun was shining high in the sky and there was not a cloud in sight. Perhaps she shouldn't have, but Tulia had given herself and her war council the day off. Everyone needed a rest once a while and so the young Queen had decreed that today would be the day, when the sun was shining and the wind had ceased its howling everyone deserved a rest. 

The Queen was in her room, getting ready for a day of relaxation. Her handmaidens were busy preparing her dress and so Tulia was just stood there, awkwardly in her petticoat, as they got the rest of her dress ready.

A knock on the door sounded, and the door was gently pushed open once the person had been called in. The familiar long brown hair of the King of France came into view as he made his way into the room. 

"Good morning." He smiled brightly, being decent and turning away as she finished getting ready. Tulia was grateful for this but it was nothing he hadn't seen before. 

"Good morning, Charles." Tulia greeted back, slipping her arms into her dress as the women who was stood behind her moved to tighten it. 

"I was wondering whether you wanted to spend the day with me and the boys?" Charles asked, finding particular interest in the brick wall that he was staring at "We're going to go into the village."

"Now?" Tulia replied, wincing slightly as the women pulled too tightly on the string. 

"As soon as possible." Charles nodded. "John wanted to make the most of the sun."

"Of course, I'll meet you and the boys at the carriages." Tulia agreed, putting her earrings in as she spoke. "You can turn around now."

The King turned around and allowed his eyes to scan over his estranged wife. She was wearing the dress he had gotten her and it looked magnificent. It was a beautiful green with tiny silver Deer's sewn into the hem, making them dance whenever she walked. 

"I'm glad you chose to wear that dress today." Charles grinned, seeing that his plan had worked. 

"How so?" Tulia spoke narrowing her eyes, suspicious as to what he had meant.

"No reason." He lied, walking backwards as he went to leave the room. "We'll be waiting."

Tulia watched the King leave with confusion. It had been so long since she had seen the playful side of Charles, he was usually so stoic towards her, always trying to act like a noble man when his nature was to be carefree and funny.