(LXVI) 'Who can I trust'

The Diary of Finnan O'Connor

4th October 1566

Queen Tulia has been travelling none stop between Ireland and Wales, she doesn't stay in one place long enough for people to even realise that she is there. I, myself, was not even aware that she had arrived in Wales until this morning, the girl had apparently already been here a week. 

I fear for her. 

I have only looked upon her for a minute or so but even then did I see what she has become. Her grace has become distant and cold and she looks like she has not slept in weeks. The people will begin to lose hope if they see her like this, perhaps that is why she refuses company. The only times you get to see our Queen are when you have been called. No one is ever called.

I hate the Valois for what they have done to her. Never before have I seen her so weak. I use that term not to offend my Queen but to describe her physically. She will send herself to an early grave if she carries on neglecting herself in order to preserve her own title. The Queen has not shut herself down completely, emotionally yes, but intellectually she is at her peak. Her scheming is to no end recently, refusing to think about Henri has brought out the best of her mind. But it is killing her body.

Speaking of the devil himself, the Prince is still left unaware as to why his new residence is in the dungeons. Strict orders from Tulia have been placed. The Prince will suffer unknowingly for the months that he spent betraying her. Our Queen is usually so kind, the change in her personality is for the best. You cannot have a war without casualties. And Prince Henri is one who I know deserves it. 

The Diary of Tulia Byrne

15th October 1566

Many different scenarios have crossed my mind recently, all of which could be used as a plausible plan to take back my throne. If I didn't act so irrationally I could have used Henri's betrayal to my advantage but I let my womanly feelings take over. For that, I will feel entirely regretful. 

17th October 1566

Urgent news has arrived from Ireland. My regent is ill. He thought that it may be the remanence of his summer fever but the symptoms have progressed  and it seems that our god will not spare him from his pain and retribution. 

Dainial has graciously been at my side for years now. I shall waste no more time writing and spend it solely on getting to him before he passes. I must be at his side when the day comes, I know that it would have been his duty, but he would have done the same for me. 

24th October 1566

The time came. My regent is dead and I can no longer leave Ireland without the fear of betrayal. I have heard the whispers at court that I have become paranoid. For once there is a truth in the rumours that are spreading, I fear trust. I fear that if I give it to someone again, it will be broken. If only Dainial's son Darragh was old enough, that way I would have no problem in leaving my country in safe hands.