(III) The Death Of A King

April- May 1554

After a month or so of travelling, the Kings party had finally arrived in Ireland

After a month or so of travelling, the Kings party had finally arrived in Ireland. Spirits were high as the Irish were excited to see their King and princess for the first time in nearly a year, Tulia's eleventh birthday had been and gone and of course, her beauty was increasing along with her age.

The young princess looked healthy, tanned skin from her time spend out in the open and at sea and her hair shone healthily in the Irish sun that shone down on them brightly for the first time in many weeks.

The King, however, could be worse for wear, his skin was sickly pale and always seemed to be accompanied by a thick sheen of sweat that made his auburn hair stick to his forehead. However ill that the King looked it did not show in his speech as he smiled down softly at the people who had gathered around to see his safe arrival.

"Many of you have waited and prayed for our safe return," he started, smiling softly at anyone who looked him in the eye. " Your prayers have been answered and I am thankful that you sent them. Many of you will remember my daughter as a little red headed trouble maker who would run around with a wooden sword," Many laughed at the statement as Tulia's face went as read as her hair, " But alas she has returned to us as a perfect lady who will become the most beautiful Queen that England and Ireland have ever laid eyes upon." Cillian grinned, staring down at his daughter with a love that could not be taken away.

The crowd cheered at his speech, cheering for the King and his daughter as he made his way to leave the makeshift stage that he stood upon, many missed the pained expression on his face with every step that he took but what everyone did see was the fall. The King dropped to one knee as his legs gave out on him, Tulia moved forwards to go help him only for her hands to be batted away as a tight but loving smile made its way to his face as he got up slowly and reassured the crowd that he was ok, he wasn't, but as a King his job it not only to be strong for his family and himself but he has to be strong for his nation. A weak nation allows itself to be conquered and changed by people who have no business controlling it.

>>>

15th May 1554

Weeks had passed since the fall that burned worry into the minds of the country men and the Kings condition had only worsened, the man was bed ridden and no longer had the strength to feed himself let alone run a country. He had reluctantly handed the country over to his best friend and cousin Finnan O'Connor whom he trusted with his life.

Finnan had been regent every time he had travelled to England and the older man had managed successfully to keep Ireland afloat in the Kings absence. He had authoritative green eyes that contrasted well against is dark brown hair, he was popular with the ladies yet his eyes only ever saw one, Lady Adelaise of Dresden she was considered a great foreign beauty from the far lands of Germany and no woman had managed to catch the eye of Lord Finnan ever since he met her.

Early that evening the King had called a meeting of all of the trusted and high ranked members of court. Numerous Bishops, Noble men, Noble Ladies and of course the crowned Princess Tulia Byrne.

They had all arrived and were now gathered around his bed, sullen faces and pained expressions upon seeing their King, and their friends, condition.

"I know that you all understand the reasons behind this meeting and therefore I do not want to beat around the bush." The King wheezed before he was interrupted by an uncontrollable cough that brought up phlegm and blood onto a white handkerchief that he held shakily in his hands. Tulia turned her head slightly, not wanting to witness the deterioration of her fathers health. A large hand grabbed a hold of hers giving it a tight squeeze, looking up she met with the eyes of Finnan who looked down on her with a saddened expression, the burly man himself was trying desperately not to cry.

"My King, it is time for you to name your heir," A bishop spoke looking to his King with sad eyes before finishing, "Before it is too late."

The King nodded before trying to prop himself up slightly in bed, not accepting any help from anyone that offered or moved forwards to try and help him.

"There should be no dispute on who my heir is." He coughed, "I name my daughter Tulia Byrne, the first Queen of Ireland and the undisputed successor to the Irish throne. Anyone who opposes her should be disposed of quickly and without mercy." the pricy council nodded before they left their King, one by one sending him their regards and reassuring him that they will pray for him.

"I'll wait outside for you Princess." Finnan reassured, letting go of her hand and walking out of the room, leaving Cillian and his daughter alone for the last few moments of his life.

"Do you have to go father?" Tulia sniffed, holding onto her fathers hand as he smiled up weakly to her.

"My darling, God has called me back to him as he believes that you are ready." He croaked, using the last of his energy to wipe a strand of red hair out of her eyes.

"I'm not ready father," She sobbed. "I don't want to be Queen if it means you're not going to be here anymore."

"Silly girl." Cillian laughed affectionately, " then you would never be Queen, and to deprive Ireland of your beauty and leadership would be a crime against humanity." Tulia gave him a watery laugh before she spoke again.

"I will be a good Queen, just for you," she laughed, tears streaming down her face and staining her cheeks.

"You couldn't be bad if you tried." He grinned, blood had begun to stain his teeth as he spoke his last words to the only person that he had ever truly loved unconditionally. "I love you Tulia."

And with that his body relaxed and his eyes fluttered closed, eleven year old Tulia's body shook with sobs as she desperately clung to her fathers hand as he passed on, for many minutes the young girl was unable to move but eventually she staggered to her feet and headed towards the door.

Opening the aged oak door she looked down the corridor to see the privy council stood at the end with Finnan at the front, locked in a tearful embrace with the Lady Dresden who caught eyes with Tulia as soon as she exited the room. Pushing him away Adelais pointed to Tulia as the privy council finally noted her presence.

All of them ducked down onto one knee in respect for their new Queen, Tulia briskly walked up to Lord Finnan before he could make it to one knee and hugged him tightly. The older man hugged her back with as much force before whispering in her ear.

"Your Grace, you need to begin looking for a regent." pulling back from her he finally got down to respect his new Queen.

"I don't need to find one Finnan, " She whispered, " I want it to be you."

(I promise it'll start getting more interesting when she goes to France.)
Lady Adelais of Dresden is a made up character so is Finnan, had to get a little creative.