(XXVIII) Poison and Death

The French army had refused to help with the disposal of the 'anarchists', as Catherine called them, without payment

The French army had refused to help with the disposal of the 'anarchists', as Catherine called them, without payment. Tulia didn't blame them for their decision but France nor Ireland was in any position to pay them. Ireland was a stable country, but they had nowhere near enough money to pay off the thousands of unpaid French soldiers returning from Scotland. 

"I could give you two-thousand livres at the most" Tulia offered, walking alongside Charles as they made their way towards Catherine's study.

"I know, and I'm grateful that you are willing to help," Charles sighed. "It's not enough, I won't take money from you when you can't really afford it."

"Perhaps the Vatican can help?" Tulia put forward, "I'm meeting with a representative today, I could speak to him."

"That's a good idea." Charles nodded. "Take mother with you."

"Of course," Tulia smiled. 

The two reached the study and waited patiently just inside the room as Catherine spoke to a white haired man. Tulia's eyes flickered to Catherine's personal guard who was staring intently at her as if he were planning something, her eyes were only drawn away from the man when Charles, who had been listening into Catherine's conversation, pulled her into the room. 

"The generals will get what they are owed," Catherine agreed, her eyes briefly meeting with the King and Queens before she looked back to the man. "At the feast in two weeks time."

"The generals will be very please." The man nodded, bowing as he turned to leave.

"General Geghan." Charles smiled. The man bowed at the King and Queen with a smile on his face. 

"Majesties," He bows. "Its good to see you, and It's lovely to finally meet our Queen."

"It's lovely to meet you too, General Geghan, I've heard good things." Tulia replied politely. The man grinned at her and bowed his head in respect, before leaving out of the door. 

"I heard what you said." Charles speaks to his mother once the general leaves. "Why didn't you tell him those anarchists are Red Knights?" 

"What, and remind him that we killed the last group of soldiers we couldn't pay?" Catherine scoffed. "No. First, we pay for the army, then we crush the Red Knights."

"But we don't have the money?" Charles reminded.

"But we will," Catherine smiles, taking her sons face into her hands. "If you look hard enough there is always an answer."

"The Vatican could be an answer," Tulia suggested. "You and I could speak to them, I have a meeting with the Cardinal later, you could come with me?"

"See," She grins, looking to her son. "There is always hope."

---

"No." The cardinal declines, looking at Catherine with an unamused look on his face. "We will not fund your army."