(XXXIV) Sovereign

25th March 1562

25th March 1562

Tulia was taking a much needed rest from the burden of motherhood, she enjoyed being with Henri but his screaming soon got tiring. Catherine had come in to save her, telling her that she would look after him for her whilst she took a walk.

Tulia did not have to look after her son, she had lots of nannies willing to look after the young prince but she denied every single one of them. There were two reasons why she did this, one being that she wanted to spend valuable time with him and the second being that she did not trust anyone to protect him.

Elizabeth did not seem like the person to have a child assassinated but that didn't mean that people wouldn't attempt it with the motive of keeping Tulia or her son off of the English throne.

Walking through the court was a blissful experience when you did it on your own. People would of course acknowledge your presence and bow with respect but not often did they come over and talk to you. It was very rare that the Queen would have any time to herself, she savoured the moments that she did get, even if they didn't last very long.

Across the courtyard she noticed a familiar face. Lord Narcisse had returned to court and he had brought a companion. Jean-Phillipe, or John as he is more widely known, was only a year old and he had already lost his mother and father. It had been different for him when Francis died, he didn't truly know him, but he bonded with Lola and now she was gone and he didn't understand why.

"Narcisse," Tulia shouted, walking towards the man and his step-son. "I'm so sorry for your loss, I expected to see you again in happier circumstances."

"So did I," Narcisse nodded, his head hung low and his hand softly holding onto Johns. "How is everything here?"

"Not good," Tulia sighed, looking around to see if anyone was listening in. "Charles is not in his right mind and his sister, the Queen of Spain, has noticed. She's adamant that Charles is not fit to be King."

"Is he?" Narcisse asked her seriously. "Is he fit to be King?"

"I don't know." Tulia shook her head, she didn't want to give up on her husband but he was giving her no choice, his behaviour was concerning and frankly scary.

"Take John," Narcisse spoke, pulling John forwards lightly and pushing him towards Tulia. "I'll go speak with Catherine."

"But-"

"Please," He begged, looking Tulia dead in the eyes. "I can't bare to look at him. He has Lola's eyes."

Narcisse walked away as Tulia nodded, she could tell he was hurting and so she decided she would help him. It was true that Narcisse and Tulia didn't particularly like each other but in both their eyes it was water under the bridge.

Narcisse had helped France, and Charles, many times and Tulia had apologised and attempted to give him and Lola refuge in Ireland. But of course, that plan did not work, but Narcisse appreciated what she was willing to do. Defy the Queen of England more than she already had.