(LXIII) Fear

13th June 1566

13th June 1566

Hampton Court Palace, England 

Dear Elizabeth, Queen of England 

I am writing to you to warn you of the ever approaching danger that your country and your reign will face. Spanish warships have been sighted in France. 

I did some digging of my own to decipher whether this revelation would be a threat to you. Upon first glance it seems that the ships were there solely to help the youngest, male, Valois usurp the throne from his elder brother but I no longer think that this is the case. 

There has been rumours that the Queen of Spain, Elisabeth de Valois, is being held captive in the dungeons of Fontainebleau. Your grace I do not believe that the ships are intended for the Prince anymore, I fear that they have fallen into more dangerous hands, the hands of your niece, Tulia Byrne Queen of Ireland and France. 

The ships are coming and they intend to strike in the later, colder, months of the year. I pray for you your grace. You should find yourself lucky that the whole Spanish Armada isn't baying for your blood. 

Yours Sincerely, 

An Englishman in French court. 

Elizabeth was shocked to say the least. When she read the words written in a foreign hand she refused to believe them at first. She knew that her niece did not intend to let her sit on the throne for too long but she did not think she would receive the support of Spain. Not when her husbands sanity had been hanging by a single thread for many years now. 

"This can't be real." Elizabeth muttered as she reread the letter for the sixth time. 

"Your grace, we sent scouts to the borders, checked with English correspondents in France." A man reiterated. "There are many Spanish war ships in the harbour of Calais and they do not look ready to attack France."

"This could just be Tulia, trying to trick me." Elizabeth shook her head. "She's trying to distract me whilst she does something else. I don't believe that they would just let this information slip that easily."

"Perhaps the leak came from the Spanish Queen." A voice called from behind her, Lord Dudley had been watching the exchange carefully. He was worried for his lover, worried that she would get hurt. "The letter stated that she is imprisoned in the castle, I can't see her wanting Tulia's master plan to prevail."

"You don't understand," Elizabeth snapped. "My niece isn't like Mary Stuart. She plans ahead, she leads people into thinking that she is doing one thing when in fact she is doing the exact opposite. I wouldn't know about this if she didn't want me to. She's more of a Tudor than she gives herself credit for."