(XIV) The Ice Festival

Tulia was currently in her chambers with a few of her handmaids as she was preparing for the ice festival that was being hosted at the castle

Tulia was currently in her chambers with a few of her handmaids as she was preparing for the ice festival that was being hosted at the castle. It had been requested that everyone wore white, the Irish Queen was not too pleased with this but went with it anyway.

She was currently dressed in her underdress as they braided her red hair and wrapped it in a plaited crown, around her actual crown, leaving spirals of curled hair to hang down her shoulders delicately. The Queen's dress was hung up on the door ready for her to change into when they had finished painstakingly pinning her hair up neatly.

A loud knock sounded on the door which caused Tulia to turn her head slightly, only for her maid to screech and politely, but frantically, tell her not to move her head.

"Who it is?" Tulia called from where she was sat, trying to see, through her peripheral vision, on who was at the door.

"It's Francis," An annoyed voice called from outside.

"Come in." Tulia sounded, scrunching her nose up at the tone of his voice.

The door opened and in stepped Francis, he was not yet dressed in his white Ice festival attire and was instead wearing a loose white tunic and casual leather trousers. He had an annoyed expression on his face that blended well with his eyes that were filled with sadness. Tulia could tell by his face that something had happened.

"Ladies are you at a point where you can have a break?" Tulia asked, looking at the two ladies who were fiddling with her hair behind her.

"Just a second my lady." One of them said politely, pinning a plait tightly against her head. "All done."

"Thank you." Tulia smiled, admiring her hair in the mirror. "You can have your break now, when you're finished come back and we'll start on the dress." The two maids nodded and curtseyed at her and the king before leaving in a hurry.

"Sorry for barging in on you like this." Francis sighed, sitting down on the love seat next to the window.

"It's alright." Tulia dismissed. "Now are you going to tell me what's got you all worked up or are you going to carry on beating around the bush?"

"It's Mary." Francis revealed, laying down lazily on the seat. "When is it not Mary."

Tulia rolled her eyes at her best friend and walked over to grab her dressing gown to put around her body. She had become very aware that she was only in her underdress in front of him.

"What's happened between the two of you now." Tulia asked, tying her dressing gown tightly around herself and sitting back in the chair that she had arose from.

"She keeps reminding me that she feels that no men can touch her without her feeling uncomfortable." He stated to which Tulia nodded. "Yet she willingly put her hand on conde's arm with out a second thought."