(XXVI) The King and Queen of France

7th May 1561

7th May 1561

Months had passed since Catherine de Medici was made regent and Charles' reign was going swimmingly. He of course liked to know what his mother was doing and what she was agreeing too and ordered an overview to be written each day. Most of the day he spent with his wife, they had even begun to plan a trip to Ireland after the coronation that was to take place next week.

Of course it was mandatory that the pair stayed in France for a while after their coronation but Tulia was excited on the prospect of going home to show the strength of Irelands allegiance with France and the strength of her marriage with Charles.

Tulia's eighteenth birthday had come and gone and so Charles made a promise of returning to her homelands as one of her gifts. Aside from the jewellery and dresses that she had received, that one was her favourite and most treasured. 

The royal family were currently having breakfast together in the dining hall, enjoying conversation and the wonderful meal that was being served. 

"Your coronation is in less than a week." Catherine reminded, taking a bite out of the bread and butter that she had on her plate. 

"How could we forget," Charles mused. "It's not as if there's decorations going up everywhere."

Tulia smiled at this and went to take a spit of her drink only to recoil at the sour taste that it held. She made a noise of discomfort before the Queen put down her cup and grimaced. 

"That's horrible," Tulia groaned, trying to get the taste out of her mouth. "what is it?"

Charles looked at her before he raised the glass to try it himself. 

"Wait." Catherine shouted, stopping her son from drinking from the glass. "It could be poisoned, give it here." Tulia looked at Charles with worry as the Queen mother took the drink from her son and called for a servant to come over and try it for them, the servant drank from the glass with the permission of the Queen. 

"Well?" Tulia asked worriedly.

"It tastes fine, your grace." The servant said awkwardly. "It's grape juice, it's what we normally bring to your chambers in the morning." 

"Catherine try it," Tulia prompted. Catherine nodded before taking a small sip of the juice, she pulled a face at Tulia when she noted that it taste exactly the same as her own drink. "Does it not taste off to you?"

"It's slightly too sour," Catherine agreed. "But it still tastes like it usually does."

"Its made me feel sick," Tulia grumbled. "If you'll excuse me." 

Charles and Catherine watched as the young Queen hurried out of the room. 

"Is she alright?" Catherine asked her son. "Has she been well recently?"

"I've noticed she's been tired recently and the physician noted a fever." Charles explained. "He said it could be the flu, he ordered bed rest but she's ignored him."