(LV) The Fall of a Queen

13th December 1565

13th December 1565

Two months had passed since Tulia and Charles had returned from Ireland. Things were going  better than expected. Friendships were being built, relationships strengthened and hopes high. 

But with light comes the darkness. Spain had presented an ultimatum, they would support Charles' rule in France as long as he chose to marry their son off to a Spanish noble, preferably one of high status. This would mean that Spain would have a say in the goings on of French court, Tulia and Charles were not pleased with this and had initially opted to decline, but they could not risk war with Spain.

Harry was only four years old and already he was being used as a pawn in the game that they played in order to stay alive. Tulia resented forced marriages and hoped that she could let her own son marry who he wished, but it seemed that the lord had not given her the option. 

Tulia and Charles were currently in the throne room, looking through hundreds of portraits trying to decide who would be the 'best fit' for their son. The Spanish Ambassador was pleased that they were willing to start looking straight away, little did he know that the King and Queen of France had no intention of picking a worthy bride, all portraits were sent away with only a seconds glance.

The King and Queen had been getting on exceedingly well as of recently. Both of them finally beginning to feel like they had done at the start of their marriage. He had been a true husband to her, sending Nicole away from the castle and treating her as she was meant to be treated... Like a Queen. 

Tulia was not an idiot. She could see the uncertainty behind his eyes whenever he saw herself and Henri together. The fleeting glances, the furrowed eyebrows and the way he disappeared into his own mind whenever he saw them together.

This 'jealousy', as it seemed to be, did not help the fact that Nicole, although leaving, had not yet actually left.  She claims to be in the process of packing, something that she is taking her sweet time in doing.

Nothing, at the moment, could destroy the young Queen's happiness. She had received some news that she had been dying to hear for a long time now. The physician was almost one-hundred percent certain that she was with child. She had not yet told Charles, but she was planning to do it today. As of lately he had always been to busy to talk, something he frequently apologised about. 

It was finally over. The last portrait had been shown and finally, the King and Queen could relax. 

"That was torture." Tulia sighed, rubbing the bottom of her back as she finally allowed herself to relax. 

"Do you think they've figured out that we aren't going to marry our son off to some stranger yet?" Charles sighed, leaning on his elbow as he looked at his tired wife. 

"They're Spanish." Tulia scoffed. "Of course not."

Charles laughed and went to say something but was instead interrupted by one of his guards. The man whispered in his ear and Charles groaned.