(VII) The Lamb And The Slaughter

1559

1559

A walk through the gardens was always a relief for the young Queen, it made her feel more at home. The beauty of French court was beyond what she had imagined, the colours were vibrant and the whole area smelt strongly of different flowery fragrances.

Tulia had yet to bond with anyone at court, Mary's ladies in waiting would not approach her due to her lineage and others just did not see any reason to talk to the Irish Queen. The girl was quite lonely. Today Tulia had requested that the head of her Queens Guard, Aidan, join her on her morning walk.

Aidan Kelly was a tall man with coal black hair and soft light grey eyes and seemed to be way to young to have such an important responsibility. Aidan had proven his worth when he was just sixteen years old, right before Tulia's father died, an assassin was sent to kill the princess as she was taking a walk through the poorer villages, but single handily the young butchers boy  had recognised the threat and dealt with it with honour and skill. The King was extremely thankful for his behaviour and offered him an apprenticeship on the spot, he had proven to be the most loyal of subjects and the young Queen trusted him with her life. He had been protecting her since she was ten years old and now six years later he would still lay down his life for the red haired beauty without so much as a second thought.

"The weather's nice for this time of year, your grace." Aidan said politely as the two strolled slowly through the perfectly cut grass.

"It is," Tulia smiled, closing her eyes briefly as the sun caressed her face pleasantly. "How many times must I tell you to call me Tulia."

"As many time's as it takes for you to realise that I do not wish to be disrespectful by not referring to you as your proper title," Aidan paused, watching for his Queens pleased reaction as he had not uttered the words that annoy her so. "Your grace." he smirked as he added the last words to his sentence, chuckling as her smile dropped and she batted softly at his arm in displeasure.

"Have you ever thought that it may be disrespectful to not follow a Queen's direct orders when she asks you to do something." Tulia countered grinning wildly as she watches him roll his eyes at her. "You have the audacity to roll your eyes at your Queen yet you daren't speak her name. You need to sort out your priorities."

"I apologise profusely, Your Majesty Tulia Bryne, first of her name, Queen of Ireland." Aidan finally answered, "There, I called you by your name." before the young Queen could playfully reprimand him again for his wit a voice interrupted the pair.

"If I could speak with the Queen alone," Catherine's voice sounded from behind the two, Tulia nodded at the young guard, who preceded to bow and begin to walk away only to turn around and walk a mere ten paces behind the Queen and the Queen mother. Catherine watched in amusement at his devotion, giving Tulia an odd look as she smiled back at her.

"He's a friend." She spoke, continuing her walk through the gardens with Catherine by her side. "He saved my life when I was a child, I trust him."