|Chapter 3|

|"Deep down, we are all happy"|

Valentina POV

"Linda just called me", I said, whilst entering Rose's living room. Ruby turned to look at me and raised her eyebrow.

"She said that they have found some relatives of ours. They live in New York and they have a clean background", Linda had said that they sometimes needed two weeks to find someone's relatives and do a background check. Kinda wished she would've taken a bit longer, but whatever.

"Well, has she already talked to Alessandro?", she asked me. Alessandro was the oldest out of us seven. We had five brothers. And then there were the two of us.

"No, she said that she wasn't able to reach him yet. She only reached his secretary. Bet he is screwing her?", I sat down beside Ruby, a big fat grin plastered onto my face.

"Noooo! You know Sandro. He is probably still a virgin", Ruby laughed out. I mean she does have a point. Alessandro is more the introverted person that was forced into the social life because of our father and the business.

Alessandro POV

"Mr.Romano?", my secretary asked, knocking on my door. I didn't answer, she'll come in anyways. I didn't like her, she was rude to clients and always tried to seduce me. Keyword: tried. I lifted my gaze from my paperwork as she entered my office, clearing her throat. I didn't ask her what she wanted, I simply raised an eyebrow.

"There has been a woman calling for you, when you were absent, Sir. She said it was urgent and gave me her number. Should I call her back and make an appointment?", what could be so urgent?

"Did she say who she is?", I asked, ignoring the fact that she said 'woman' like it was some kind of disease.

"A social worker, I believe it was what she said", Tracy said bored. She was chewing gum very loudly. I couldn't stand it, not when a woman did it, nor a man. It was disgusting. Didn't her parents teach her how to chew with her mouth closed?

"You believe? Give me her number, I'll call her back myself and see what's so urgent", I let my gaze fall back down onto my paperwork, hearing her footsteps come closer to my desk. She put the note down and then left, closing the door behind her.

"Moore", it was the voice of a woman, the social worker -probably.

"Good day, Alessandro Romano, my name. My secretary told me you called my office this morning?", my voice was firm and stern. But not intimidating.

"Ah yes, Mr. Romano. Nice to finally reach you. It is about your two sisters, Ruby and Valentina. I am their social worker", to say I was surprised would be an understatement. We haven't heard from them in twelve years. Our mother took them after my father and her divorced. She wanted to keep them safe, she said. We had a few men watching them until they were six, then they vanished.

"Did something happen to them? Are they okay?", I was so worried about them. At that moment, I didn't even care if she could hear how worried I was. Screw that goddamned image.

"They are both alright. Ruby was in the hospital, because she had a concussion and two bruised ribs from the attack", what attack?

As if she could read my mind, she answered. "Some men broke into their house whilst the two girls were home with their stepfather. They said that they searched for something and got angry when they couldn't find it. They knocked Ruby out, hence the concussion, and shot their stepfather. They have no one to take care of them right now and we managed to find you and your brothers through a DNA-sample", that was a lot to process. Now I understand why it was so urgent. She probably wanted to ask me if I would be willing to take custody of them.

"The answer is yes. I will take custody of both of them", I said before she could ask. I heard her chuckle.

"Good. I will send you the papers you have to sign per e-mail. Do you have any questions, Mr. Romano?"

"Yes, is Ruby okay? You said she was in the hospital because of a concussion and bruised ribs? And where are they staying right now?", I had so many more questions.

"Ruby is good, her concussion was pretty bad, but the doctors said she is healing fast. As to her rips, she got some painkillers, but she said she wasn't taking them anymore because the pain is bearable. I talked to her after I tried reaching out to you, Sir. The two of them are staying with a nice, old lady right now. Mrs.McCan offered to take care of them until we are done with everything", she answered each of my questions patiently -I had a few more. She was nice and explained to me that the two girls can come here as soon as I have signed and sent back the papers.

Coming home, I was excited -something I haven't been in years. The boys were confused as to why I was coming home with a smile plastered on my face. But what can I say? My two princesses were coming home. There were mixed reactions when I told my brothers the exciting news.

"They don't belong here, it's to dangerous"

"Finally, are they okay?"

"Where were they?"

And many more.

"Boys, I know that it's dangerous here, but we can protect them. We did it the first four years of their lives -we can do it again", I said to slowly calm them down. Francesco had always been close to the twins, especially Ruby. He was also the youngest boy in our family, with 18 years. Whereas Antonio had always been close to Valentina. Something about her made him light up as soon as he saw or heard her. It hit him a lot when she left, when they both left. It hurt us all and left a gap in our heart. A big, dark and gloomy gap, or hole.

"They are in England. I have already sent over the jet. They will be here within the next few days, we should probably update their rooms a bit", Cesco lit up when I said that.

"I can do that", he screamed cheerfully, before running upstairs. A small smile formed on Leo's lips -he was Antonios younger twin-, he quickly followed Cesco upstairs. To help him, I guess. Antonio was the only one who wasn't happy about the news. Or so it seemed. Lorenzo -the second oldest- looked more concerned, then happy. I knew deep down everyone was happy.

This would be a hell of a ride.

If only I knew how much of a hell of a ride it would become.

To be continued...