|Chapter 7|

|Talking|

Valentina POV

Ruby and I didn't go down the next morning. And even though Lorenzo and Francesco tried to get us out of our rooms and apologize to us, we didn't give in and continued to ignore them. After about half an hour they gave up and left us alone, that's when Ruby came over to my room.

"Can you believe it? They actually put breakfast in front of our rooms", she said whilst holding two plates with food and two water bottles under her arms.

"Thank god, I'm starving", I was. I love food and can eat a lot at any time. We both could. It was definitely normal though, right? Ruby and I used to compete with Derek, our step brother, about who could eat the most food the fastest. It was really fun and looking back at those moments, I felt myself missing them. 

Ruby put the plates on my desk and gave one of the water bottles to me whilst taking a sip out of her own. I quickly went over to my door and closed it. No need to lock it. Then I took my plate of food and sat down on my bed. After eating, we took our -now empty- plates and placed them in front of my door, then I locked it.

"How about we call Lynn, we haven't talked to her in awhile", Ruby said. I nodded, she was right, maybe she could help us with understanding our brothers. After all, she was the one who grew up with two overprotective brothers. Ruby took out her phone and searched for her number in her contacts. Then she called her.

"Heyy giiirl", Lynn yelled from the other end. After asking her how she was doing and her complaining about how boring it was without us, we told her about our brothers.

"Hmm. Well, try and see it from their point of view. They have two younger sisters, who are also the youngest of the family. Then again, they haven't spoken to you since twelve years. Everyone has grown up and changed. They don't know how to deal with you two and are, maybe, even afraid to lose you again. And that's why they give you all those rules, to prevent you from getting hurt or losing you", she was right. We all grew up and haven't seen each other for so long. And then the whole mafia thing, they are probably just scared that we could get hurt. They don't know what we have done in the past few years.

"You're right, maybe we should just talk to them without yelling and not listening to each other. But they should also try to see it from our point of view. We grew up without them, without a bigger brother to protect us. And now we get her and have to live with not one but five older brothers, who we haven't talked to in twelve years. And then, our oldest brother gives us rules that are totally sexist and just unbelievably stupid."

Ruby was truly speaking the words from my mind.

Alessandro POV

I knew it was wrong to eavesdrop on the conversation my sisters had with probably one of their friends. But to my defense, the other ones were standing beside me, doing the same.

"...maybe, even afraid to lose you again. And that's why they give you all those rules, to prevent you from getting hurt or losing you", that girl they were talking to was right. Especially, because I was the capo of the Italian mafia. Judging from the faces my brothers were making, they were thinking the same as me.

""You're right, maybe we should just talk to them without yelling and not listening to each other. But they should also try to see it from our point of view. We grew up without them, without a bigger brother to protect us. And now we get her and have to live with not one but five older brothers, who we haven't talked to in twelve years. And then, our oldest brother gives us rules that are totally sexist and just unbelievably stupid", was that Ruby? Ruby was the quieter one and usually stayed calm. Just like when they were younger. Valentina would always ask for something, like candy, for both of them whilst Ruby stayed in the background. Seems like some things just stay the same.

"Talk to them. Tell them what you told me. Maybe they'll try and see it from your point of view. And remember, my brothers try to do the same, though we did grow up together. Typical brothers. Just trying to protect their little sisters." So they called her because she too had older brothers and knew how to deal with them? Smart.

"Yeah, we probably should talk to them. Thanks for your help, Lynn. We'll talk to you later", I heard Valentina  say. To be honest, she sounded pretty frustrated and I couldn't help but feel guilty about that. I'm sorry sorella.  

"Well, you're right with that. And again, try and see it from your oldest brother's point of view. He is taking care of all of his younger brothers, maybe they did have rules when they were younger. And then suddenly there are two additions. His younger sisters. He wants to protect them and care for them, but only ever did so with his younger brothers. So he gives them rules without thinking what his sister's opinions are on them and that they might be too controlling. Because he wants to protect them. Just talk to them alright? I gotta go now, bye", were they too controlling? Maybe I should've thought about them more. 

I ushered the twins and Francesco away and then softly knocked on the door. ,,Come in", Lorenzo and I didn't waste any time and opened the door, stepping into our younger sister's room.

"So, you heard what we were talking about with our friend, Lynn", Valentina asked. She sounded calm and collected, just like yesterday. I nodded.

"Maybe, we should talk about the rules", Lorenzo suggested. Nodding Lorenzo and I sat down to finally have a little chat with our sorelle.

"Well, what do you want to change?", I asked, knowing for sure I would not change all of the rules.

"The first rule. About respect, we'll respect you as long as you respect us.

"Also, the rule with no cussing, I'd like to know why we're not allowed to do so", Val said.

"First of all, I get and respect that you will only respect someone if they respect you too. Second, we sometimes have business partners here and that's why I don't want you to cuss", Ruby and Val nodded.

"How about you two don't cuss around your business partner, but else you are allowed to. But you need to keep it in check. Just because you are allowed to cuss doesn't mean you need to do so in every sentence", Lorenzo said, again Ruby and Valentina agreed.

"Now to dress appropriately, you had problems with that. Maybe I should explain what I meant with that. I simply don't want you to wear a skirt or whatever else, where half of your butt is visible. Same as with shirts, they shouldn't be too revealing and short. As long as you respect those rules, we won't have a problem."

"Ok, not like I would wear stuff like that anyways", Ruby said, scrunching her face up in disgust. Val laughed at the reaction of her sister, but then agreed with her. Maybe it won't be as hard to live with them as we thought. Still, we could not tell them about the mafia. They'd be scared of us, think of us as monsters. Which wasn't so wrong, we were monsters. Partly at least.

To be continued...

-sorella - sister
-sorelle - sisters