|Chapter 16|

|"I can't risk losing them"|

Third person POV

"Devi dirglielo! (You need to tell them!)", Elio whisper-yelled at Alessandro whilst Dario and their father nodded in agreement.

"I want to, I really do. Believe me. But they will be in danger if I do and I can't risk losing them! Not again", Alessandro responded, getting quieter to the end until his voice was only a mere whisper. He was so scared. Scared to lose them and what could possibly happen. What if they get tortured, or raped? What if the Russians involve them in their slick deals. They would be lost forever.

"But if they don't know then they could be in even more danger. What if the Russians attack, or someone else? They have to learn how to defend themselves. They won't understand the situation if they don't know about anything!", Giovanni argued back. Knowing and not knowing, both would put them in great danger as soon as the underworld found out about them. Both could lead to death or even worse things than that. And Alessandro knew that.

"Look, we would rather not let our sisters and Angelo know about this either. But yesterday proved that knowing could save a lot of time! Come on, Sandro. I know that you are scared that they'll think differently of you but wouldn't you like to be informed about something important and personal by a person that you are close to? What if they find out because we're under attack?", they were right. And Alessandro knew that; all of his brothers did. He sighed. He needed some more time. They were so close to finding out about their past.

"Hey guys! What are you talking about?", Ruby asked as she walked down the stairs, followed by her sister.

"Nothing to worry about, bambina", Giovanni said, not knowing that the twin sisters knew exactly what they had been talking about. Eavesdropping wasn't nice but then again, who said they were nice?

Alessandro and Lorenzo had been trained since they were only a few years old to take over their positions when they're old enough. Antonio, Leonardo and Francesco had learned how to deal with weapons and how to fight from a young age; even though they had never understood why they were learning those things instead of playing with friends. They did once they grew up. Ruby and Valentina didn't start fighting until they were sent into the boarding school to become assassins. And they would've never started fighting if their mother didn't take them. The Romano brothers had learned to hear even the quietest sounds and to make quick decisions which could lead to death. But the sisters had specialized in doing those things. They were quick and often had their missions done before anyone noticed that they had been there. The brothers were loud and didn't care if anyone heard them.

Those were just a few differences between assassins and the mafia.

"So? What are we going to do?", Giovanni asked, sitting at the table with everyone else and eating his breakfast.

"What do you mean? The twins and Cesco have school. And we four have to work", Alessandro said, looking confused. Why did he ask that? It wasn't their first time here in New York. They were capable of doing something themselves.

"Oh come onnn!", Gio whined and then tried to pout and make puppy dog eyes. The Romano brothers cringed at the sight whilst everyone else was trying to contain their laughter or cover it up with a cough. It looked like he had an epileptical attack. "The girls and Cesco can take a day off from school! It's friday for fucks sake", he continued to whine.

"Fine! But only if you'll shut up now and stop making that damn face. It looks like you're having an epileptical attack", Alessandro said in his usual low voice. As soon as he said that the whole table erupted in laughter, except for Alessandro who rolled his eyes and Giovanni who pouted even more.

But then Giovanni started cheering as he registered what his oldest nephew had said. ,,WE ARE GOING TO SPENT THE DAY WITH MY FAVOURITE NIECES!" It was a rare sight and not many people got to experience Giovanni Romano in his childish behaviour. But the big bad Mafiosi was jumping up and down in the dining room, yelling out incoherent things and what he wanted to do, before he ran out saying "he had to get ready". As everyone shook their heads and quietly continued to eat, the twin sisters shared a look of fear. They were petrified. When did their uncle become so cheerful? Would anybody notice if the girls disappeared into thin air until their relatives left again? Probably. But a nice five star hotel with a big fluffy bed and most importantly silence sounded like heaven to them. Why did their brother give in so easily? Where was the stubborn twenty-six year old that stayed with his first -and usually last- answer and never backed down?

One thing was clear, they were fucked.

To be continued...

A/N: The sentence "It looked like he had an epileptical attack." actually sounds better in German. If you're German, or just speak the language, what do you think about it?