|Chapter 27|

|Kiss my hand, you peasant|

Valentina POV

"I don't want to go there", I groaned, slumping onto the couch and crossing my arms above my chest. We had arrived back at the Romano Mansion in New York two days ago and tonight we would be having dinner at a Spanish restaurant owned by the Rodriguez' with the Rodriguez'.

Yay, how fun! - Notice the sarcasm, please.

"Valentina Romano!", Alessandro boomed. Yes, he was definitely fed up with my behavior from the last two days. "Stop acting so goddamned childish! Now, get your lazy ass up from the couch and get ready." If you didn't know already, we were supposed to be there in an hour and everyone knew I wouldn't be getting ready in time. Especially, since we would need around half an hour to drive there.

"Don't worry, Sandro. You guys can drive to the restaurant on time and I'll take Val when she's ready", Antonio piped up, sending me a wink at the end of the sentence.

I didn't just want to not go because I was supposed to meet my future husband that I didn't choose by myself, but also because of our last encounter. Yes, you heard me right; we met before. It was even before I graduated from The Élite and got my number. We -Ruby, I and a few other members- were on a mission to kill an important member of the Spanish Mafia and steal some very important information from him. I was the one killing the man and stealing the information and it was safe to say that Álvaro will definitely recognise me. Anyhow, shall we move on?

The numbers! Every member of The Élite had a number, we usually got addressed with that. Mine is 938. As soon as you graduate you get a choice, stay a member or don't. When you do, then you get your number burned into the neck as a symbol that you belong to them. So if you see someone having a number burned into their neck, run, they're dangerous. Anyway, since I did stay a member, I have my number burned into my neck. Which, by the way, hurted like a bitch to get. I, also, may have punched the guy -who burned the number in my neck- in the face and broken his nose.

I decided that I should give my brothers a break and finally got up to get changed. I went straight to my closet and internally thanked myself for having showered when I woke up -which was around 3pm. Since I had simple French nails I didn't need to be considerate of my outfit. French nails go with everything! I picked out a white long jumpsuit that showed my left shoulder. With that I picked out white high heels and threw my hair up into a high and tight ponytail. Then I got to my make-up. I wanted something heavy. I used some concealer and foundation first. Then I went in with highlighter, bronzer and blush. I then decided to take a very dark red lipstick and throw it into the mix. Then I spontaneously decided to match some eyeshadow to it and put on some eyeliner and mascara. Lastly I did my eyebrows, then I put my jumpsuit and high heels on. I took a matching bag, put the lipstick I had on my lips in the bag, my phone, keys and purse followed. Quickly I checked if I missed anything before putting on some jewelry and then going downstairs to meet with my brother at the door.

"So very nice to see you again, Rodriguez", I stated coldly and held my hand in the same exact position a Queen would. Kiss my hand, you peasant. He smirked at me, exactly knowing who I am.

"The pleasure is all mine." He took my hand in his, slightly bowed down and then placed a kiss on top of it. "Might you want to take a seat", he continued, taking the chair beside his seat, pulling it out. I complied, adding a "What a Gentleman". He smirked again, before taking a seat beside me. My brothers -and Ruby too, no surprise there- didn't seem so pleased by me sitting in between the Rodriguez' brothers. But I didn't care.

"Excuse me, while I go to the restrooms to freshen up." I stood up from my seat, not waiting for a response, and left to go to the restrooms.

"Two minutes and forty-three seconds", I stated blankly, staring at my phone's clock as Álvaro entered. "Also, this is the women's restroom, if you haven't noticed yet." I put my phone back into my bag and instead took out my lipstick. I may not have seen him, but I knew for sure that he rolled his eyes. Looking into the mirror, I saw him stalking towards me. I paid him no mind and instead applied some new lipstick. Álvaro's arms snaked around my waist and pulled me against his chest.

"Careful! You're going to ruin my make-up", I scolded him without giving him even a glance. I could tell I angered him. He started to kiss my naked shoulder up to my neck -probably in hopes to get a reaction out of me. He didn't though. I heard him sigh, before everything went quiet again. A few minutes passed and I was pretty sure my brothers were getting uneasy.

"You have something from me", he said after a while.

"No, I don't. The Élite does though."

"You killed one of my most trusted and important men."

"I did", I replied nonchalantly. What was I supposed to do now? He was dead and he would stay dead. At least I hope so. Would be pretty weird if he would just come back from the dead. Not so much though if he wasn't dead at all. But I shot him, I never miss and I know he was dead when I left. Álvaro sighed again.

"How many tattoos do you have?", he suddenly asked, staring at my neck. I had one dragon in completely red ink right under my number and one human heart with flowers under my left breast.

"Two." He nodded in acknowledgement. "We should go back", I added, putting my lipstick back into my bag. Again, he nodded, now letting go of me, walking to the door and holding it open for me. Or so I thought. Before I could go through it, he did, slamming the doors shut in front of me. I rolled my eyes at his behavior, opened the door myself and walked through it with my head held high. Outside, Álvaro was waiting, holding his arm out for me. Again, I rolled my eyes whilst sliding my arm around his. Then we walked back to our table and sat down. My brothers looked like they wanted to say something but didn't as they saw my glaring.

"I don't feel so good", Álvaro whispered to me. I sighed and excused us from the table, taking him out of the restaurant and a bit further. Then I held his head above some bushes and stuck my finger deep into his mouth, making him gag. Quickly I retracted my finger and let him throw up. Fucking Ruby.

"Better?", I asked him after some time. He nodded and leaned against me for support.

"What was that?", he questioned.

"My brothers and my sister trying to poison you." He looked at me with wide eyes, while I held him up and stroked through his hair. "I hope this makes up for the dead man", I jokingly asked as we made our way back to the restaurant. He smiled slightly, shaking his head as if he couldn't believe it.

In the restaurant we saw our families already standing and shaking hands, ready to leave. "I'll see you soon, future Mrs.Rodriguez", Álvaro whispered into my ear when leaving. I rolled my eyes, knowing exactly that I didn't save him because I changed my mind about him but to protect my family. And he knew too.

To be continued...