Chapter 25: Coffee On His Lips

I awoke with a start as the remnants of a terrible nightmare faded from my memory. The bright light of the sun washed through the tall window in Aiden's room.

It ran the length of two stories and provided a most dazzling view. The clear blue water and the sandy beach calling my name. If only the deep blue beyond didn't hide any possible blood craved creature that would pull me below the surface to my death.

"Good morning, sleepyhead," Aiden chuckled as he walked from his mini office area across from the bed. His expression shifted as he looked at my frazzled state, "What's wrong?" 

"Nightmare," I said on an exhaled breath as I took him in.

He was freshly clothed in a pair of jeans and a dark blue t-shirt. But what really had my heart going was his hair. Untied and still damp from his shower.

No matter how long I've known Aiden, I don't think he'll ever not make me nervous. It wasn't his blonde hair or surfer boy beauty that caused my brain to turn to mush, even though it did contribute to it. It was him; his smile, his eyes, the way he smelled.

It was the way he held himself as Alpha and yet allowed Tourmaline to place a tiara on his head for a tea party. The way he sat for two hours holding my hand and taking my mind off the blood transfusion. His perseverance and dedication to reading every old text to find a solution that may not even exist.

And I know it didn't make much sense, it didn't to me, but he made me nervous in the best way.

It was as if he saw me. Not my skin and bones or my spoken words.

No, Aiden saw deeper. He saw past the tangible aspects of myself and somehow, he seems to like what he sees.

"What was it about?" He asked as he sat next to me on the bed.

"I can't remember," I said yawning. "What time is it?"

"About eleven."

My eyes boggled out of my head, "I slept in."

"It's fine, you needed the rest."

"But Emery and Thane-"

"Are fine. They're with the others in the backyard."

I dragged my hands up my face and into my hair as I shake my head, "Last night felt like a bad dream. As if it didn't really happen."

Taking one of my hands in his, he said, "You don't have to worry about it. I'll see that every medical thing is taken care of."

"If you're trying to bribe me into making me like you any more, then I don't know if that's possible," I admitted as I turned my gaze away from his ever perceptive eyes.

The faint hitch in his breathing was the only sign that my words affected him.

Until he turned my hand and lifted it to his mouth. Gently brushing his warm lips against the inside of my wrist.

"Good to know," His breathed into my skin, causing goosebumps to rise along my arms.

"S-should we go meet Dr. Nazra now, for a check up?" I stammered, willing my brain to form coherent sentences.

He nodded before immediately shaking his head, "Wait, before we go, I wanted to ask you something."

I gestured with a tilt of my head for him to go on.

"I don't want you to be alone at anytime from now."

Rolling my eyes, I asked, "Where would I possibly go? Plus you already have Kai shadowing me when you're not around."