Chapter 4: I Just Really Like Chocolate Cake

Inside the packhouse, my parents were already heading towards the back door but froze when they saw me.

I'm positive that someone had already informed them I found my mate. After all, word spreads like wildfire around here.

They both held worried expressions as I approached, but when I heard Aiden's heavy footsteps walking towards us, I sped up and didn't slow down.

"Tate," My mom called me back, but I didn't stop as I brushed past her and headed straight out the front door.

I paused on the front steps and took in a deep breath as my chest squeezed in protest from whatever underlying condition I had. Or, maybe this time it was caused by my newly found mate.

"Now's really not a good time," I seethed to my heart before sitting down on the steps.

'Tate? Come back here and introduce us to your mate,' My mom mind linked with a scold.

But like the immature child that I was, (Aiden's words, not mine), I didn't respond.

It was one thing to be called immature, but it was another thing to be called that from your soul mate. Maybe I was right in judging him from the start. He probably didn't want the responsibility of having a true mate and only the power that came with it.

What stung the most wasn't his words though; it was everything that came crashing down on me from finding him. I had to leave my family behind. My parents and three brothers. My friends. I didn't even have a choice as to what pack I stayed in, not when my mate was an Alpha. Not unless I rejected him...but even if he is an asshole, I don't think I could it...yet. We barely knew each other and in the span of fifteen minutes, we've already had our first fight.

Things weren't looking so peachy.

Especially since I had to leave my family behind. The place I've been for the past, almost, eighteen years.

What if his pack didn't like me? I've heard stories of that happening to some Lunas. Well only one so far in history, centuries ago. But the possibility wasn't ruled out. They could hate me just for belonging to another pack.

I'm to be the Luna of the Oaks Pack.

Aiden Oak's mate.

No pack has ventured into their territory for a while. They stopped hosting the annual Mate Meet Up several years ago when Aiden's parents died. I did learn that their territory is quite something though, like a fairy tale scene stolen from a novel. So far that was the only thing I looked forward to.

I folded my hands on my knees and watched as birds flew around in the late evening sky. The hues of pink, orange, and blues were all perfectly blended together and radiated warmth and comfort.

The aroma of dinner being served in the kitchen permeated the air and my stomach growled in its usual fashion, but I made no move to get up. One, because I was lazy and two, because I didn't exactly want to sit and get to know my mate over casserole.

I heard the front door open and I tensed, thinking it was Aiden, but I caught my father's familiar scent and relaxed.

"Dinner's ready," He announced to me cheerily.

"Thanks, Dad," I replied but remained in my seat.

His footsteps shuffled over towards me, "My girl doesn't want food? Should I be worried about that mate of yours?"

Sitting beside me, I turned to his worried expression and shook my head to put his mind at ease.

"It's not that," I lied, and he could tell as he frowned.