Chapter 2: Shut Your Jell-O Hole

An hour later and we still hadn't found her.

No trail, no scent, no Emery.

According to Thane, she was on her way to the packhouse, but her scent lingered past the house and towards a small trail leading to the forest. It disappeared beyond that point and now everyone was on the hunt for her.

'Tate, go back to the house. If Emery turns up, I want you to take her to the human town. Jane would make sure you get in unnoticed,' Thane mind linked me as and the others ran further into the forest.

The human town of Fairbairn was where Emery used to live but since she's considered a missing person there, it would be dangerous if she turned up. If the humans knew she was still alive, it would risk the secret of werewolves. She couldn't exactly tell them the mythical beast they've been hunting for centuries was a werewolf who's her soulmate. They'd probably lock her up in a mental institute. Hence the reason why my great-aunt, Jane, who lived there would be able to sneak us in.

Heeding my brother's words, I ran back towards the house in my wolf form. The cool evening air brushed through my dark grey fur and my paws sank into the warm earth below me. Running in the woods was an indescribable feeling. A sudden rush of endorphins.

But the fear of the unknown sank its claws into my happy state of mind and left my insides feeling like blocks of ice. This only triggered an undeniable pain in my chest which was an after effect from a wound I sustained a few months back.

I was on the brink of death that day, but Emery saved my life. Which is why I owe her my life and my time to ensure we find her now.

As for my severe chest pains, it happens every once in a while, which was something I have to live with. According to the pack doctor, nothing's wrong per se, but the pain wasn't right either.

Shifting behind the packhouse, I hunched over as I breathed through the pain as it sent ripples of pain through my upper torso. They don't usually last more than five minutes, which I'm grateful for as I pulled on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt stashed in a hollow out tree.

Before I could go inside, however, I heard shouting coming from the clearing where everyone was gathered. My chest eased as I briskly walked in the direction of the drama.

Breaking through the trees and into the clearing, I saw Beta Lucas holding a man to the ground and yelling in his face.

"Where the hell is she? Tell me!" He shouted as he lifted the man's shoulders and slammed him back into the ground.

My eyes picked up the angry wolves from Alpha Aiden's pack who were growling lowly at Lucas. As I neared the men, I realized it was Rick, Aiden's Beta, who was currently being knocked around by Lucas.

"As I told you already, I don't know what you're talking about. Let me up man, before I report you to your Alpha," Rick seethed.

"Whose orders do you think I'm under? You're honestly lucky it isn't Alpha Thane or else you'd be dead by now."

Rick narrowed his eyes at him, "Is this how your pack treats guests? By threatening them after they've been civil?"

"If you answer the question, I won't have to threaten you."

"You're forgetting that I don't know what the hell you're on about."

Lucas attacked the man again, but this time with a fist to his cheek, "Your Alpha kidnapped our Luna. Tell me where they are, now wolf!"

"I told you, we don't know. And trust me you'll know when my Alpha arrives," Rick spat some blood out from his busted lip.

"You little-"