Chapter 33: Desperation Was A Wicked Thing

I awoke with a foreign sensation pulsing beneath my skin. Warmth blossomed through my body, blood flowing through my veins which once felt as if held ice. My breaths came easily, in a steady pattern instead of the laboured pants. The rhythm of my heartbeats consistent and without faults.

My eyes flew open with those thoughts, landing on the very unfamiliar ceiling. Deep violet covered the ceiling, reminding me of the sky while an angry storm blew through, leaving chaos in its path. An elegant chandelier sat at the middle, its warm lights glimmering off the iridescent surface of the ceiling.

Had I possibly crossed into the afterlife?

Lifting my left arm into view, I was baffled at the sight of arm whole and intact. No scars, bruises or wounds marring my skin.

Automatically, I flew up into a sitting position, a surge of strength and energy fueling me. Power that I hadn't felt since before I was attacked by rogues in my old pack. Before all the bad luck had starting pouring down on me.

When my gaze fell to the right of me, Aiden's bent head was laying on the bed next to my hand. He was slouched over, sitting on a chair that didn't appear comfortable. His hair was disheveled, messily tied into a bun. He now sported a short beard, there were dark circles under his eyes and his eyebrows were furrowed, as if he his worries followed him into his dreams.

Assessing the room around us, I wasn't sure where we were in the castle. It was neither Aiden's nor my room. Yet, it appeared lived-in from the trinkets that were scattered on a large vanity table, shoes neatly stacked by the door and a few articles of clothing hung on a room divider. From my vantage point, I could see there was a layer of dust that coated everything. As if they were untouched for years. Sitting and waiting for its owner to come dust them off.

There were picture frames lining the walls, and when I looked closer, I knew exactly where I was, but not why. I instantly recognized the couple in the photos. A man with shoulder length, dirty blonde hair and a pair of blue eyes the exact shade of my mates and a woman who was ethereal, godly and definitely the Queen of the Sea, Amethyst, with her purple hair.

Looking back towards my mate, I wondered what in all of the seven seas had actually happened. If he was here, and I was alive... what exactly transpired between the time I cut my arm open to now.

A million questions infiltrated my mind, sending me in a tailspin as I sorted them in my head. Dylan, my wounds, Tourmaline, vampires, the book search. There were so many things to be discussed.

Moving my fingers to Aiden's cheek, my eyes landed on the charm bracelet around my wrist. It was the one that contained pieces of sulfur crystal, which Aiden had gotten for me in replacement of my necklace.

Coldness seized my movement as the memories of Aiden begging me to stay plagued my mind. And with that came the recollection of his behaviour and Dylan's claim.

Had he truly been trying to protect me?

I feathered my fingers through his hair, gentle as to not wake him up. Tracing a loose strand, I used my finger to follow the shape of his brow, down his nose bridge and across his cheek bone. Mapping out every detail of him with my touch, burning the image into my mind.

When his eyes fluttered, I quickly snatched my hand away, folding both of them on my lap as I waited for him to wake up.

Aiden blinked the sleep from his eyes, scrubbing a hand down his face before he sat up and noticed I was watching him.

I caught the subtle sound of his breath caught, his motions freezing and his eyes unblinking. It was as if he was afraid to move in case the image of me disappeared.