Chapter 28: Life Or Death

"Do you actually know how to bake?" Kai asked from over my shoulder as I tried to pick out egg shells from my bowl. 

"Less talking, more helping," I jabbed him in the rib. 

Groaning, he backed away from me, "One, ouch that hurt. Two, I've been commanded to keep you safe not helping you in lighting the castle on fire." 

"Fire? What fire?" I laughed uneasily, cross-eyeing the bowl of chocolate I tried melting earlier. 

One minute it was melting perfectly, then the chocolate seized and then there was smoke which was caused by a small fire.

"You almost burnt my t-shirt," He pointed to the singed end of his shirt which was a result of him getting close to extinguish the blaze. 

"Then you shouldn't have gotten that close," I flipped my hair over my shoulder before painstakingly pulling out the shells. 

I can cook just fine, but when it came to baking, my lack of luck followed me. Forget homemade cake, I couldn't even bake a cake mix without it becoming too dense. 

Kai sighed as he grabbed an apron and pulled out some chocolate from the refrigerator. I grinned as he gave me a glare from across the kitchen. 

"You do realise he could bake a better chocolate cake than anyone in this castle, right?" 

I nodded, "How long has it been since anyone baked him one?"

Kai gave it a thought before answering with, "I guess the last time was his mother."

"I know it won't be as good, as it may be inedible-"

"Any crunchy from all those egg shells," He added with a wide grin. 

"Hey!" I detested. "Crunchy or not, I want to do this for him. It's...it's my way of saying many things with no words at all."

His eyebrows drew together in confusion, "As in?"

"Thank you?"

"Why would you need to thank him?"

"For giving me the best time at the end of my life," I replied. 

"Tate-"

"If you say I'm not going to die then I'll burn your hair next," I countered and he frowned at me. "We haven't received the blood yet and who knows how long it'll take. Every day I get weaker, less me." 

"You and I both know he'll turn the world upside down before he let something happen to you." 

"That's why I need your help," I said seriously.

"I need to retire," He sighed, placed his hands on the counter before straightening his spine and nodding. "Lay it on me."

"If...no, when, something happens to me, I need you to remind him to stay in control. Help him in remaining focus and protecting Tourmaline. Would you do that for me?"

With a sad smile, he nodded, "You have my word, Luna."

"Great," I let out a breath of relief, "your next task is helping me ensure this cake at least appears delicious." 

He snorted as he lifted the bowl of chocolate off the double boiler. 

Just as he was about to set it down, it drops to the floor and shatters to pieces. Kai clutched the right side of his abdomen as he fell to his knees. 

"Kai!" I screamed as I run to his side. 

His face was contorted in pain as he gasped for a breath.