Chapter 8: Green Whistle?

Dad?

The twilight zone was less confusing than my life right now.

Aiden's eyes locked onto my own for a split second and the guilt on his face was unmistakable.

But instead of offering up an explanation, he focused his attention back on the girl, Tourmaline.

Goddamn it, was this why he didn't want a mate? Because he's already got someone and a kid?

"Were you up no good again?" He asked her with a smile. A genuine, face splitting, eye crinkling, dimple showing smile. Something I'm seeing for the first time on Aiden's face.

"Maybe..." Tourmaline grinned mischievously and grabbed Aiden's cheeks. "But you've been gone forever. You said only one day, and it's been a whole year!"

"It's been four days Tourm," He answered but his smile didn't waver.

"Well, it's been sooo boring here! Jenny wouldn't let me do anything," She slumped and sighed as a kid does.

"I'll-"

"Alpha," Rick appeared from the hallway he'd just been through, "north coast spotted a vamp sneaking around in the marsh."

"Go eat your dinner, I'll see you later," Aiden ruffled Tourmaline's hair before setting her down and disappearing with Rick.

Uhm, hello Alpha Dickhead, I'd really love an explanation right now.

I watched as Tourmaline looked me over before approaching me with a shy smile.

I love kids, they're adorable. But right now, I was particularly wary of this kid and the impact she was about to make on my life.

As she skipped closer towards me, I couldn't look away from her mesmerizing features. Her odd pink hair, her striking blue eyes, and the similarity between her and Aiden. It wasn't obvious but you could tell they were related.

"Hi, I'm Tourmaline."

My knees were wobbly by the impact of this secret but I lowered myself none the less. I also couldn't help the authenticity of my sudden fondness for this child.

"It's nice to meet you Tourmaline, my name's Tate," I was about to shake her hand but remembered that there were specks of blood from helping Aiden with his wound and hid them behind my back. "And I love your hair by the way."

She beamed at me, "I really like yours," she reached into my messy hair and twirled her finger through a loose curl. "Will you be joining us for dinner?"

I spluttered, unsure of how to answer her because I was hungry, but I wanted nothing more than to take a shower and hit the sack.

Calypso luckily answered for me, "How about we let Tate go rest after her long trip and in the morning we can all have breakfast?"

She frowned but it was quickly turned upside down as she beamed at me, "Okay but you have to promise to go swimming with me tomorrow."

"It'll be my honour," I grinned.

The woman, who Aiden had spoken to before, strutted over and grabbed Tourmaline's hand, a bit too roughly if you asked me. But from what I could assume, she could be Tourmaline's mother.

They didn't share any noticeable features except her hair was also dyed a peculiar shade of green as Tourmaline's was pink, so I won't count it out. She also hadn't addressed me directly either so maybe she was ignoring the presence of her child's father's mate?

"Come on Tourmaline, you have to eat your dinner before Aiden gets back," The woman said.

"But-"

"Now Tourmaline," She cut off the little girl firmly and I couldn't help but scold.