Chapter 14: No Signal

Two weeks.

It took two weeks for Emery to awake from her coma and ensure us all that she and Thane Jr. was alright.

And its also been two weeks since I've spoken to Aiden.

I didn't expect him to call and chat for hours like some gossiping teen. But I'd hoped he would have at least called and said something, anything.

The phone did work both ways I suppose. I could have called, but I didn't because Aiden did call, just not me.

He was on the phone with Kai every day for the past two weeks. At least, that's what Kai said.

Twice I was in the living room with Kai when he called and when Kai asked if he wanted to speak with me himself, he said no.

No explanation or excuses. Just a simple 'no'.

Which only left my feelings for him even more muddled after Kai explained he wanted to check up on us and ensure I was alright.

Except I didn't know if he was concerned for me or for his Luna. There was a distinct difference being a token of power compared to someone he was actually concerned about.

And while I was mostly fine, my heart was not. Dr. Adler's blood test came back with a healthy amount of oxygen in my blood but we did do a test on my heart rate.

He made me run on a treadmill as he monitored my heart rate to see if it will increase as it should while I doing physical activity.

Results concluded it was a bit behind.

And as we monitored it over and over again, it dropped from sixty-five to sixty-four. Only by one, but it was inching closely to dangerous territory.

I did hold back on telling my family and I trusted Adler to do the same since everyone was still recovering from their losses.

He did, however, right up charts and notes and an entire medical file on my heart condition to take back to the Oaks Pack.

What was my title again? Oh, right, Master of Bad Luck.

A day after Emery woke up, I contemplated asking her to try to heal my heart but she was still worn out and weak. My new pack also made it clear it was time to leave, so we did.

On the plane back, I felt the medical file burning hole in my bag, threatening to make its presence known to everyone.

"You okay?" Kai asked from his seat next to me as his eyes landed on my tight grip on my bag.

I forced my fingers to relax as I nodded with a strained smile, "Fine."

"Luna-"

"Tate," I corrected.

He rolled his eyes playfully, "Tate. If something's wrong you can tell us."

My eyes cut across to Paul who seemed extra moody next to a sleeping Loly. Kai's eyes followed my own.

"You can tell and trust me," He clarified.

I nodded as my eyes looked over his features. A kind smile, dark eyes, hair as straight as needles and complexion sun-kissed from his time on the beach.

I did trust him. Oddly enough we've  spent more time this week than anyone else. That was mostly due to him shadowing me through out the day except when I snuck off for my doctors appointment. But his presence was appreciated since it didn't truly feel like home back there. Not anymore.

I got to know more about him and Matt. How they met, his love of surfing and Matt's love of the guitar. But something was missing from his story.

He brushed over how they went from dating to mates. There was a pause while he was talking, brief but noticeable.