Chapter 1: Alpha Dickhead

"He's dead," I declared with a huff when the last pack entered the clearing.

I could practically hear my mother roll her eyes next to me as she flicked me behind the ear, "Be quiet Tate."

I grumbled under my breath as I watched all the unmated wolves run into the arms of their newly discovered mates.

Honestly, my mate was as good as dead.

As everyone gathered around in their own little groups, my mother finally turned to me with a sad smile.

"He's not dead... he's just not here yet," She suggested as she shrugged.

"Mom, I love you, but you and I both know you're wrong."

Today's our annual Mate Meet-Up. Wolves usually meet their mates at sixteen and most of the time their mate is in the same pack. The others usually find their mates in neighbouring packs. Therefore, the Alphas of the four closest pack to our territory all meet up with their unmated wolves so they'll be able to find their match.

Most of the time, everyone who had yet to find their mate does. However, there were a few that didn't.

I, of course, landed in that niche as I have not found my mate yet. This leads me to believe that my non-existent mate is either dead, a rogue wolf, or simply does not exist.

I'm going with the first since I was a few weeks shy of being eighteen and Mr. Mate still had not shown up.

"Listen to me," My mom grabbed my shoulder and looked me in the eye, "mates are nice...sure. But you're Tate Blackwood, Alpha's daughter, and warrior extraordinaire. To be honest, I don't know any wolf that'll be able to balance you out."

"So cheesy," I said as I wiggled my nose, but she just flicked my ear again.

My mom, Anne, could always make me smile, no matter what.

"Let me rephrase," I smiled as her eyes narrowed on me. "Very wise words mom. Thank you for being my Yoda."

That made her laugh because she loathed Star Wars. Giving me a warm embrace, she made me feel a lot better.

Mom's hugs were the best. I don't know what I'd do without them.

"How about you go mingle with your friends while I go help Emery with Luna duties," She suggested, and I nodded as she walked away.

As I stood looking around the clearing, I watched as my friends and fellow pack members all fawned over their mates and received an equal amount of affection in return.

It's not that I necessarily wanted a mate...I just wanted to know what it felt like. That bond. The connection. The deep emotional connections formed by some magical powers that were bigger than us all.

I was curious about it because it wasn't something I could feel or touch. The only way I could see these strings connecting two souls was through the people around me. My parents and my brother with his mate. Watching them was like watching the most beautiful and most amazing love story unfold before your eyes.

My parents were as much as in love as they were when I was a child. I'd always assumed that because your mate is your one true love, that you'd instantly fall in love. The superficial notion that one would feel that much passion within a second of meeting someone always made me loath the concept.

But that all changed when I witnessed my brother and his mate, Emery. Their story of falling in love was something else entirely. They certainly weren't 'love at first sight' with Emery hating Thane's guts and Thane refusing to tell her his secrets.