Chapter 36: Blood Drive

Not long after the Mélusine disclosed their ancestors' secrets to us, they were off. And while they could simply swim across the Atlantic with a shiver of sharks for protection, they chose the human way of transportation, airplane. It was undoubtedly the less scenic and more mundane way of doing things, but it was by far the safest. No one knew they were sea creatures and traveling during the day and out of the water ensured their secrets were kept. 

Having a dwindling population made them a paranoid bunch.

When we were sure they were safely checked into the airport and were waiting to be boarded, we decided it was best to set off ourselves before darkness caught up to us.

Kai and Matt had their own car so Jenny and Dr. Nazra decided to hitch a ride with them.  

"Are we sure this plan is going to work?" I asked Aiden, concerns over all the ways this could go wrong plagued my mind.  

It wasn't that long ago my brother, Thane's pack were in arms against a fledgling of humans. A battle that left blood spilt and my brother on the brink of death despite thorough planning.

Aiden took my hand in his, keeping our entwined hands on his thigh, "There's never a guarantee, but this our only shot. If this works, maybe... just maybe, we can put an end to this damn fight."

I squeezed his hand three times, "Then we'll fight. Once you lead us, we'll win. I know it."

"I can't do it alone, Cupcake. I need my Luna at my side," Aiden turned towards me with a shy smile before gazing back at the road.

"I'm not your Luna yet," I clarified.

"Oh? You don't say," He said in mock surprise. "You trying to tell me something, Babe?"

I rolled my eyes at him, "What I'm saying is, yes."

"Yes too?"

I poked his cheek with my free hand, "Keep messing around and I'll make you find a new mate."

He let out a deep chuckle, daring me to do just that. But when his eyes briefly flicked to mine, I saw a sparkle of need there.

"When we get back, we're telling the pack you're alive. If I have to go another day without being able to reach you through a mind link, I'll go crazy," He swore.

My cheeks reddened, knowing what was to come, "Aiden, I've never... I mean I haven't done any of that before."

He shrugged, "Neither have I."

"You haven't?" My eyes widened.

He laughed at the intonation of my voice, "Why do you sound so surprised? Between raising a kid, being pushed into the role of Alpha and keeping vampires from killing my pack, it's not like I've had much time on my hands. I didn't exactly have my mate at my side either."

I really loved this guy. 

Aiden, the wind in my sails and the sunshine on my beach. Falling in love with him was like the crashing of waves on a shore and the warmth of the summer at sunset. Hectic at times, but a sweet sea breeze that kept you wanting more.

That's my man, who was not so much of a dickhead anymore.

I quickly stretched up and kissed him on the cheek to show just how much I appreciated him.

Aiden's ears turned pink in a blush and I couldn't help but laugh. 

"So, now that you have your Luna, what about a Gamma?" I asked. 

"You think he'll accept if I ask?" Aiden's voice held hesitation, unsure of his decision. 

"He's your best friend, and your Gamma before Dylan came along. I think he'll be happy you thought of him for the position."