Chapter 34: Zombie Luna

Sitting in the sliver of sunlight that peeked through the thick curtains was how the last two days of my life went.

I hadn't expected sitting still in an old room would make me become an impatient person, yet here we are. I was itching for some fresh air and to finally shift into my wolf.

However, that couldn't be done as my mate faked my death to his pack. Now, I was left sitting here all day with the company of Tourmaline, Calypso, Dr. Nazra or Jenny. Never all at once though. Tourm visited with either Calypso or Aiden, and the others visited in between. It would be too risky if they all came at once instead of on a rotation.

The time I loathed the most was when Jenny showed up. I found it impossibly difficult to thank her or even speak to her. She was just here out of obligation to keep me company while the others went about their daily tasks. And even if she was here out of concern, I'd never be able to forgive her for plotting to kill my Aiden or trade Tourmaline's life for her mate.

***

"Wouldn't you have done the same for Aiden?" She had asked that morning.

I was just polishing off the hearty breakfast Aiden sent up for me when she'd directed her question at me. The food turned to concrete in my stomach as she voiced the words. 

What would I have done?

Responsibility to protect my mate and guilt of harming others both clashed inside of me.

"If I had to hurt others to save my mate, then I don't believe I'd be any better than the ones who wanted to harm him in the first place. And I don't believe he'd forgive me for hurting others for him either," I answered her.

She lifted her brows, not at all surprised by my answer yet she neither believe it, "So you'd leave the person you love to die at the hands of your enemies?"

"No, I'd cut my enemies' hearts out with the help of the ones they wanted dead." I stated pushing my plate aside. "I'd be wise enough to know that I stood no chance against a cave of bats, so I'd seek help from those they wanted me to hurt. Isn't that what you're doing now?"

"I'm not a wolf," She snapped. "We don't plan wars or strategize about killing others."

"Then it's time you learned. Vampires are the prime enemy of your people, Jenny, you have to adapt to your situation. If you don't, you'll lose your mate and the rest of your people while you continue to be their puppet," I said. "I won't forgive you for attempting to kill my mate or Tourmaline, but I'll help you because I want my revenge just the same."

"You act as if you've never messed up in your life."

"I have," I answered, "but never in a magnitude that required me to harm a child."

Jenny went silent as she turned her head away from me. Her green hair curtaining her face from me as she peered down at the floor. 

***

That was how the rest of the morning went by, Jenny sitting across the room from me, a book in her hand but not turning any pages. I, for the life of me, couldn't decide if jabbing myself in the eye or jumping off the balcony would provide more excitement than pacing the ever stuffy room. I didn't think my mind was that morbid, but anything to mix it up would be heavenly. 

When Jenny finally left, Dr. Nazra stayed at my side for the rest of the evening, but she fell asleep an hour in our conversation. I don't blame her, ever since the castle was attacked everyone had been on edge. Patrol was tightened and training was pushing on a constant rotation. Training in the Oaks Pack wasn't easy two-step defences and throwing punches. Nope, the trained warriors fought as if they were in a war. Quick healing and stamina allowed for this, but when the injuries became too deep, they required Dr. Nazra.