Chapter 23: Slow Death

*A/N: Please note that this book takes place after the ritual to the beast and before the boy who cried wolf. Therefore, Emery is now pregnant with her first child (Everette) who she doesn't know the gender of yet. Carry on (●ˇ∀ˇ●)

"Emery," I released a breath of relief at the sight of her and my brother standing in the foyer

Finally, I thought, finally I can have my heart and body back. 

They both grinned as I approached, having not seen each other in weeks.

"Hey dork," My brother greeted with a smirk, but as I lifted my hand to flip him off, all traces of humour disappeared. 

"Tate, your hands?" Emery questioned with worry. 

Hurriedly, I wrapped my arms around her as my brother's eyes searched behind me with building rage. 

"Where is he?" Thane growled as he side stepped us and moved towards the ballroom. 

"Wait, you doofus," I moved away from Emery and blocked his path. "There's a lot that we need to explain." 

Thane's brown eyes, the exact as my own, boiled with fury, darkening as it shifted from my hands to an approaching Aiden. 

"Did he do this?" Thane asked lowly. 

"What?" I looked at him as if he grew another head. "Of course he didn't!" 

"Tate," He growled as he took another step. "Has he hurt you?"

I placed my forearms on his chest and halted his movements, "Aiden wouldn't dare. You need to calm down." 

No sign of calm was evident on Thane's features, so I looked at Emery for help. 

Her own eyes were watery as she couldn't take her gaze off my gauze hands. 

"Thane, glad you could make it," Aiden said behind me but I could detect the sizzle of hostility in his tone. His hands appeared from behind me as he lifted my arms off my brother and gently shifted me to his side, keeping an arm around my shoulder. 

"If you dare-"

"Thane," Emery stopped her mate as she assessed me. "It's because of your heart, isn't it?"

Aiden beat me to the explanation as he said, "Our pack doctor has determined that Tate's heart is slowing down her healing rate. Her blood is not as oxygen enriched as it should be which is making her lose her werewolf regenerative healing." 

"My sister can speak on her own," Thane bit out.

"Sweetheart, relax," Emery entwined their arms as Thane sought comfort in her. "I'm sure Aiden is only trying to ease the pressure on Tate."

"I always knew I liked you more than your mate," Aiden joked as Thane's anger flared. 

"If you-"