Chapter 15: I Texted First

"Hey kiddo. What are doing down here by yourself?" I asked Tourmaline who was currently sitting in the living room alone.

"Hey Tate!" She greeted excitedly. "Calypso was watching movies with me but she went to get popcorn."

"And where's Jenny?" I asked suspiciously.

Since I'd arrived last night, I hadn't seen her with Tourmaline all day. And she certainly wasn't around throwing me glares.

"Dunno," Tourm shrugged and I wanted to smile at her catchphrase but Jenny's absence made me rather annoyed.

Which only spoke volumes about her character and level of responsibility. She had one job...

"Are you going to watch with us?" Tourm asked but her eyes were glued to the screen as I shook my head.

"Maybe later," I promised. "I'm just going to find your Uncle Aiden."

"Why?" She asked curiously.

I stared at the medical files in my hands but said, "Just wanted to borrow a book. I'll be back soon."

She nodded her head but said no more as I slipped out the door and went in search of the Alpha in the library.

Should I do did?

Would telling him about my heart condition really be such a good idea?

I was torn between the decision. On one hand, I could get Emery to pay me a visit soon and try healing me up and on the other, I didn't feel okay keeping this to myself.

But telling him meant being sidelined. I doubt he'd let me properly help with vampire related situations if he knew I had a fragile heart.

Indecisiveness still eating away at me, I held the folder behind me back as I entered the library and spotted Aiden at his desk with the lights on as dusk settled outside.

He looked up from the paper he had in his hands and waved me closer, "Great, you're here. I was about to come find you."

"You were?" I asked in confusion as I approached his desk and settled in the seat across from him. Taking care to ensure the folder was still out of his sight.

"Yes," His tone was strained as he turned the newspaper he had towards me. "Look."

As my eyes scanned the headlines in big bold letters, I felt the colour drain from my face.

Ten people missing in the last twenty-four hours.

I left my folder behind my back as I sat on the edge of my seat and flipped to the article. According to the journalist, ten individuals were reported missing after they seemingly disappeared into thin air over the night. The town where it happened was about an hour away, south of where we were.

My eyes found the steel icy blue eyes of Aiden who was staring at the newspaper as if offended him.

"What does it mean?" I questioned even though I strung together my own suspicion.

His fist were tightly clenched on his desk and I could see the veins on the back of his palms straining behind his tan skin.

"A few things," He sighed. "The vampires are up to something. They're either feeding closer or creating more damn blood suckers."

"They don't feed around here?" I asked in surprise.

"No. From what we've monitored they sporadically feed further away in the city. More humans means more crime which won't raise suspicion and put them at risk of exposure. The coastal towns around here are much less populated which is why they don't feed unless it's a stay tourist."