Chapter 13: I'm An Idiot

•~ Aiden's POV ~•

"Please, Uncle Aiden?" Tourmaline pouted as she sat next to me in the living room as we watched Frozen.

You'd think she would be obsessed with the Little Mermaid, but nope, she was all for Queen Elsa. I think it may have to do with the fact that Ariel gave up her tale and voice for a 'stinky' boy, her words not mine.

Tourm may be five but she was perceptive about everything, including small details.

Which was why she was now begging me to call Tate for her so that she could wish my mate a happy birthday.

"Tourm, I told you, she's with her family," I explained softly as I wrapped my arm around her tiny shoulders.

Her frown deepened and I almost broke and gave her my phone, but held my resolve.

"But it's her birthday dad," She continued.

It like a sucker punch when I couldn't give her something she wanted but I knew that she knew exactly what she's doing by calling me dad.

"I promise when she gets back we'll bake her a cake. But right now she's with her family who's just been through some tough times, so we should let her spend her time with them, alright?"

She wasn't too pleased with me as she shrugged off my arm, folded her own and turned to the television as the end credits began to roll.

"I'm going to the pool because you're no fun," She huffed as she walked out of the room with her hands still folded and a pout marking her features.

"Tourm?" I called back but she ignored me.

Sighing, I contemplated making her seaweed cupcakes, her favourite, but none of the mermaids have been out in the sea for the week, we were out of the main ingredient.

'Calypso,' I mind linked, 'Tourmaline's headed to the pool, can you keep an eye on her?'

'Of course, Alpha,' Came her response.

I pulled my phone out of my pocket and flipped it over and over above my head as I contemplated what do to. On one hand, what I said to Tourmaline was true.

Tate's family was hurt and I wasn't going to interrupt her time with them. That and Tourmaline would no doubt video call her and spend the rest of the day chatting away.

But as I sat staring up at the ceiling, I couldn't help but think of her. My brown eye girl who intoxicated me with her scent of pink summer berries, bergamot and tropical hibiscus. A perfect slice of summer paradise in a scent.

My mate who I also called my friend. I'm an idiot for doing it.

It hadn't exactly been what I wanted to say but I failed to articulate my words when I sat next to her. Worst yet, I didn't know how to resolve our argument that followed right after we met.

I didn't mean to argue with her but seeing her there, standing in the late evening with the sun gleaming over her brown hair and her eyes searching my soul as if I was an open book... I just couldn't believe I'd found her. And my instinct to protect her drove through me like a tornado as it blew past my senses.

There was no question in my mind that staying back there would be a safety risk because of the vampires, but I couldn't deny her for a few reasons.

One being she was mate and she may not have known it, but as soon as I met her, I knew I'd travel great distances and wage wars for her.

Another reason I didn't deny her was because I knew the value of family and I couldn't make her leave.