Chapter 31: Kissing Death

Calypso stood before me, a big smile on her face as wolf after wolf set boxes wrapped in ribbons on my bed.

"What in the world is going on?" I asked, confused by the organized chaos that has erupted as Dr. Nazra also stepped into the room with make-up bags and hair styling tools.

"Just the essentials for getting ready for tonight," Calypso said as she opened a large white box and pulled out a stunning gown. It was a deep gold with a black paisley pattern that looked as if it were etched into the material. A high collar framed the neckline, the cap sleeves structured at an angle and the train at just the perfect length.

Approaching her side, I stared at the intricately designed piece with awe, "We're supposed to dress in formal wear..."

The thought had completely slipped my mind given the last week. I'd forgotten to ask Calypso about getting a dress for the ball and now the casual sundress sitting in my closet seemed blasphemous to even be considered.

"Did Dylan not drill it into your head that he expects us to look like royalty tonight?" She asked, a secret smile playing on her lips.

Scrubbing a hand over my face, I groaned, "I completely forgot. You wouldn't happen to have an extra dress, would you?"

Calypso's shape differed from my own, but once I could zip it up, I didn't mind.

"If you think I'm giving you an old dress to wear, then you don't know me at all," She wiggled her eye brows as she grabbed another box and inched it closer to me.

"You bought me a dress?" My throat closed up as tears pricked my eyes. Calypso had become one of my best friends, and it hurt me to know that I'd be leaving in the morning when I promised her, I'd find a way to resolve the issue with the vampires.

How was she supposed to have confidence in bringing a child into this world when I couldn't even keep my promise or stick around long enough to even try.

"I placed the order, yes, but I didn't buy nor pick it out."

"Then who?" I asked confused as she wiped a tear away from my eye.

"Alpha Aiden," She revealed.

The confession sobered me up, sparking the rage that I've began harbouring for him. Yet, somewhere deep inside me, I also felt elated. How could he act so callous towards me and then go and do something like this?

"Was this before or after the beach?" I queried.

"After."

"Tell me his behaviour is confusing you as well," I pleaded with her and she nodded without hesitation.

"I don't know what he's up to, but he's hurt you. Which is why you need to put on this dress as armour, kill him with your attitude without letting on to how much you're hurting and he'll know exactly how wrong he was."

I nodded, knowing she was right and feeling emboldened by her words.

My palms became sweaty as I tugged on the ribbon on the box before ever so slowly peeling the cover back.

In my periphery I could see Dr. Nazra taking a photo of me as I gently picked up the tulle garment. The long gown was a soft shade of light brown with a pink undertone. The entirety of the dress was covered in embroidered flower applique that ranged from pastel pink, blue and lavender. Vines and sparkles filled the dress and created a whimsical yet earthy feel to the dress. Where the skirt was layered with tulle, the bodice and flared sleeves were translucent except for the boob area. To top it off, a silky piece of ribbon wrapped around the waist.